BigBoi

Mar 14, 2012
St George SC
Had a buddy change my shoes and drums Monday night. Mine were wore down to the metal. He did everything in about 2 hours. Well last night I was pulling into my gfs house (in her car, mine was parked) and noticed the inside of my driver side rear tire wet. Got under it and both back tires are soaked, fluid everywhere. Is it my wheel cylinders or some type of issued he caused?

My check brake light is on as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gannon

That Guy
Jun 10, 2012
Logansport, Louisiana
Rear Brake Issue

Do the drums have bleeders? Never had to mess with them before. Maybe he didn't the lines down good? I'd get someone to hit the brakes and watch to see if any shoots out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigBoi

Mar 14, 2012
St George SC
The fluid is coming from inside the drums. Guess I'll just take it somewhere since I have no clue about anything brake related.

Jared

Administrator
Feb 8, 2012
North Dallas
100% the cylinders. You can buy rebuild kits for a few dollars, or just have those warrantied out if they came with one (how the hell they wouldn't have at least a 90 day is beyond me).

BigBoi

Mar 14, 2012
St George SC
I'm gonna see if our mechanics at work can fix it tomorrow. My normal shop wants $400 and that's not a hot option at the moment.

BigBoi

Mar 14, 2012
St George SC
Called my boss and he said our shop is slammed so he gave me his credit card to go to my normal shop. All is well.

Shop looked under it and said it had to be the cylinders since it was coming from inside the drums.

Thanks for the replies.

Gannon

That Guy
Jun 10, 2012
Logansport, Louisiana
Rear Brake Issue

$400 is nuts, but seems like anything to do with breaks is outrageous. Around here a brake change goes for around $250-300. No way in hell I would pay that just for some new pads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigBoi

Mar 14, 2012
St George SC
The shop is a little expensive but its a national chain that warranties everything and I like their customer service.

And I don't know a thing about drum brakes. I took my drums off Monday to change them and the shoes and was dumbfounded by all the springs so I called my buddy. And the act of bleeding brakes scares me. So I def wasn't trying to tackle this. I just hope my new shoes are still gonna be usable. Dude says they should be fine but he can't guarantee that I won't have to buy new ones.

bgray

Stylish Canadian
Mar 17, 2012
Onterrible, Canada
400 isn't that bad. I haven't looked up the labor, but id assume around 2.5 hours on book time(not including any machining). Plus a few 30-50 cylinders, add some tax...boom $400. Lets remember that not everyone has the time or skills to do there own work.

BigBoi

Mar 14, 2012
St George SC
400 isn't that bad. I haven't looked up the labor, but id assume around 2.5 hours on book time(not including any machining). Plus a few 30-50 cylinders, add some tax...boom $400. Lets remember that not everyone has the time or skills to do there own work.
Yea it was like 2.3 hours.
changing the cylinders is a breeze, i did them when i was 16 lol. they only cost like 20 bucks a cylinder for the complete unit. IIRC.
I'm sure changing the cylinders is easy. But bleeding brakes and the whole brake system freaks me out. Its kind of important and I have a tendency to fuck things up lol. Pads and rotors are as far as I'll go by myself.

you would only need to bleed the one you replace, you can either have a guy in the truck pumping the brakes and having yourself open and close the bleeder, or you can put a hose from the bleeder into a bottle of brake fluid and pump them until there are no bubbles anymore.