fortplainman

official CGM slut
Feb 8, 2012
utica ny
so long story short a little more than 2 years ago i had my transfer case go on me. every time i put any power in reverse it would seem to drop out of gear and have a nasty grinding noise. a snap ring broke on the shaft and essencially caused a shitload of shrapnel in it and i had it replaced with a gm remanufactured unit.

so fast forward to the past couple weeks, had the same thing happen from what the tech told me. i dont care about fixing it, that isnt the issue. my issue is if anyone has heard anything like this problem in other nnbs trucks and if they had a lift/tires/tune/gears etc. i have looked around a couple forums and have found nothing. i just dont see what could cause a second transfer case to blow up on me or how/what can be done to strengthen so so called snapring from breaking.

Cleanoh4

Aug 27, 2013
NJ
If in fact a GM OEM tcase, it should have a 3y/100k warranty. I know that doesnt help with your issue and if I get a chance Ill call our tcase rebuilder and see if he has any ideas and Ill let you know

fortplainman

official CGM slut
Feb 8, 2012
utica ny
Yeah the rebuilt one I got had a 18 month warranty on it. My dad had the district service rep involved lol. I get supplier cost through my dad at the dealer so price is fine.

Like I said I'd like to find out what is causing it. Dad seems to think maybe when they reinstalled the new refurbished one they fucked the reinstall of the electric motor.

FFB device

Cleanoh4

Aug 27, 2013
NJ
Yeah the rebuilt one I got had a 18 month warranty on it. My dad had the district service rep involved lol. I get supplier cost through my dad at the dealer so price is fine.

Like I said I'd like to find out what is causing it. Dad seems to think maybe when they reinstalled the new refurbished one they fucked the reinstall of the electric motor.

FFB device
GMs reman warranty is still 3y/100k. Unless that's a recent change,(we only started selling OEM GM in the past year so it clulve been different 2 years ago) but all of their paper work says 3y/100k on tcases.

Give me about 30mins and I'll call our rebuilder for the aftermarket units and see if he has any ideas

fortplainman

official CGM slut
Feb 8, 2012
utica ny
nope, they are only gona pay 40%. some kinda guideline or something idk. surprised they did anything with the lift/tires/gears/tune.

Cleanoh4

Aug 27, 2013
NJ
Depending on the yr of your truck they made a some changes to the transfer cases to replace earlier versions because it wasn't strong enough

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
It's an 07 and iirc he had the first version, not sure what it was replaced with after that. This will be the third case in the truck

fortplainman

official CGM slut
Feb 8, 2012
utica ny
They changed the hardness of the snap ring back in April of 2008. That refurbished on I got should have had the updated parts in it.

FFB device