NNBS tailgate caps

Willypaul

Aug 22, 2012
North Carolina
I'm planning on color-matching my tailgate plastics soon but my tailgate cap now has a few chunks taken out of it from loading my dirtbike in and out so I'll likely scrap it because even sanded and painted, I think the chunks would stand out. The cap I have now protrudes off the back like this:
BCH_12207-t_1.jpg

But I'm thinking about getting one to have painted like this:
2012-Chevrolet-Silverado-Tailgate.jpg

Are all 2500's equipped with this flat style cap and if so will it cover the holes left by the protruding cap on my 1500 tailgate?

Further, has anyone ever tried a NBS cap on a NNBS? The NBS SS cap doesn't look too shabby.

All 3500s have them. I'm assuming 2500s are the same too. Haven't seen a nbs cap on nnbs but its been talked about before

Message sent from a 4S

X2 on what James said. Slicksierra bought a nnbs flat cap for his nbs, and it hangs down lower than the stock one. So a nbs cap on a nnbs wouldn't be big enough to cover everything back up

Edit. Forgot to say, just get the nnbs flat cap like you posted imo

sent from your HTC Rezound

X2 on what James said. Slicksierra bought a nnbs flat cap for his nbs, and it hangs down lower than the stock one. So a nbs cap on a nnbs wouldn't be big enough to cover everything back up

Edit. Forgot to say, just get the nnbs flat cap like you posted imo

sent from your HTC Rezound

Bought it for that specific reason! to cover up some mangled metal :lol:

Thanks for the responses, That looks great Cub that's probably what I'll end up doing

Shaved cap > 2500hd cap > 1500 cap

Yea I've seen some shaved caps and it does look the best but its just more work than I'm interested in putting into it. Maybe if I had a spare tailgate to practice on I might consider it.

Thanks for the responses, That looks great Cub that's probably what I'll end up doing

Yea I've seen some shaved caps and it does look the best but its just more work than I'm interested in putting into it. Maybe if I had a spare tailgate to practice on I might consider it.

The shelf cap had to go I hated it. I picked the HD one up on eBay new for $30 and paint was like $100 for my handle and cap together. Cleans tailgate up sooo much.

I like my 1500 cap

And so do I, your truck pulls off the "Shelf type" as Cub calls it. They don't look bad in stock form but if I'm getting it painted, I think it would be best to keep it as smooth and low profile as possible. I've heard the purpose of the shelf is to increase aerodynamics and MPG's, not sure that I believe that but what ever.

Just curious, why would you spend the money on a new cap and paint if yours now is all chipped up? The same thing is going to happen but only look worse and stand out more. Just my 2 cents. Had mine on my rcsb painted and it got messed up in no time.

Just curious, why would you spend the money on a new cap and paint if yours now is all chipped up? The same thing is going to happen but only look worse and stand out more. Just my 2 cents. Had mine on my rcsb painted and it got messed up in no time.

I thought about that but i have a trailer and if i dont use that i could probably get by with wedging a folded towel between my ramps and tailgate

Anyone ever think of getting a stainless cap and painting that? It's already smooth. That's what I did with my other truck except it was bed rail covers and it came out good.