NNBS Mcgaughy helper bag problem

TruckinDude95

Jul 9, 2012
I have a 2008 sierra crew cab with a 6" rear drop with mcgaughy helpers #34043. When I installed the bags I noticed that the bag didn't reach all the way up to the upper bracket without jacking up the rearend alittle bit, which I didn't think was to big of a deal. The next day I added air to the bags and from 0-90 psi I only got about 1.5" of lift, is this normal for this set-up? I also can't let the rearend droop all the way without unbolting the bag from the upper mount, looks to me like the bag would rip apart if I left it bolted up. I know that this part isn't right, its over 2" from reaching the top bracket. I called mcgaughys and he said it isn't made to lift the truck much, its more of a load baring bag. I had airlift helpers on my 95 with a 4/6 drop and no problems at all, I got about 2-3" of lift or more out of them. I'll post pix to show what i'm talking about.

Yeah, that doesn't seem right AT ALL. I'm thinking you got the wrong kit somehow.

ETA, but they are correct, these aren't meant for much lift, I get 2" I think max. I never really tried to see how much it gives, but I don't think it gives more than 2".

You sure you have the brackets on the right side? Not sure if they have driver and passenger side brackets.

You cannot adjust the bracket. It goes in one place and that's it. Is the rearend hanging in this pic?

Hmmm, my MCG kit bolted to my MCG notch, and it was mounted about 2 inches lower than his. Granted this is a NBS, and his is NNBS.

Obviously something is wrong, so either you got the wrong kit, or it was boxed wrong, or some how it was installed wrong (doubtful).

Yeah his location doesn't seem right. Since all my shit is apart also, I'll take a pic since I'm taking mine off for clearance of my narrowed axle

Hmmmm, location looks a little different but not sure. I haven't had any issues with mine.

bemeta4e.jpg

Last edited:
I was expecting more lift then 1.5 to 2". The frame tapers and the brackets only go on one way. The rearend is at full droop in the pic. That bag looks super stretched, I was afraid of ripping it letting it droop like that. I sent pics to mcgaughy. The guy I talked to didn't seem to know to much, he said he was gonna show the pics to the r&d department. I think if they say everything is how its supposed to be, I'm gonna modify the upper bracket so the bag doesn't stretch out so much. Eric and bayousam, how much lift do you guys get out of your bags? bayousam, how much drop do you have in the rear?

Last edited:
I had a few phone conversations with mcgaughy today and sent them pictures. The r&d guy looked at them and said everything looked fine, brackets and bags. He said the axle has to be supported or use limiting straps so the bags won't stretch out.

I've decided I'm gonna cut the upper bag mount off of the plate and move it down a few inches, that way I should get more lift and not stretch the bag at full droop.

Limiting straps just when putting it on a lift or jacking it up and letting the rearend droop. I'm not going any lower, it's 4WD. I'm actually considering going back to stock with a level in the front, I'm not really happy with this stance.

I've decided to keep it lowered, I was mad yesterday at the way the bags fit. So I'm gonna make them fit how I want them to. I have one bracket done and one more to go, I will post up pics once I paint them.

Happens to us all. I got aggravated when I put the billets on and it hit the bags and had to yank all the helpers out and re-do most of my work. No helpers, no notch now, just have to be careful until january for me.