New Member Need help and advice on "Totaled" Truck

mrmunoz08

Aug 17, 2014
Hello folks, Im in need of some help. A few weeks ago I got into a wreck and was told that the truck was totaled by the police and tow guy.

It was a 98 chevy cheyenne ext cab, v6 with 92000 original miles. It was my first vehicle ever so it had that sentimental value to it and hate havin to let it go.

I'll post some pix to get an idea of the damage.
In a nutshell the drivers side of the truck got bent in to a point that the front bumper is pressing against the tire.

But from inspection, the engine started right up as it always did. I couldnt let it run long due to the front end being pressed in and parts began to run against eachother. So far what I see needs to be replaced is a tire (which it still has the spare underneath intact) Front chrome bumper, and bumper cover, possibly some headlights, the hood, the front fender on the drivers side. Possibly the radiator, and from what I seen under the hood, the cover for the fan that blows into the radiator which is pressed in towards the engine.

I was told that the frame couldve possibly been bent therefore not making it worth the time and money.

I'm on quiet a budget, 2500 is all I can afford to dish out and not all at once neither. Including the 500 to get it out of the pound. If I could just get the parts required to get it to drive again and slowly buy the less important work done over time that would be more than ok.

Is it worth it? Any and all feedback is appreciated people, thanks for the time.
29dabf7.jpg
[/IMG]

10cnaj4.jpg

edjia.jpg

Jared

Administrator
Feb 8, 2012
North Dallas
Welcome...$2500 is being very optimistic. If the frame is fine you may be able to cover it. I'd say it is probably fine, but could be tweaked. It's hard to assess the damage from a picture.

Let the insurance adjuster inspect the truck, not someone guessing!

Start looking on CL and car-parts.com for used body parts. You can get lucky and find blue parts.

hate to say it, but it aint worth more then 3-4 at most on a good day, with no damage, and if the insurance company totals it out, the title will state salvage killing the value to 1-2k at most.

personally, i would buy it back for 500,

sell the bed for 300,
sell the wheels and tires for 100, since you only have 3
sell the tailgate for 100,
sell the trans for 400 bucks,

part it out, make a few hundo, scrap the rest, and buy something else.

Last edited:

BigBoi

Mar 14, 2012
St George SC
I say part it out as well. My 98 Cheyenne has a value of $830. Whatever money you put into it, you won't get back out. Unless you plan on never selling and passing it down to your kids or something.