Important!: New amp help, motor noise through speakers

cknox121

Mar 27, 2012
I got this amp for my birthday, 1000 watt virtual reality sound labs vr3 amp 4.1 channel.
798f0acd.jpg

Just hooked it up in the truck. I am getting motor noise through my front door speakers which are powered by the amp. Only happens when the motor is running.

Have checked the ground, power wire, and RCA's.

Here is how the RCA ports are laid out on both amps. The top amp is the old one the bottom is the new.
764d15df.jpg
e3afdef3.jpg
8c2fe6fc.jpg

The RCA's where hooked up to the top amp in the ch-1, ch-2, ch-3 ch-4 on the input side.

The lower amp is labeled different. I hooked them up to the bottom amp same as the top was hooked up starting on the left side of the lower amp.

I swapped them and put the RCA's on the 4 outer ports and the noise went away, but so did the front speakers.

Any ideas?

Can get better pictures upon request.

so that narrows it down to being the rca's running the front channels are the cause of the noise. are your rca's ran next to your power wire?

They seem to be ran all on the same side. But I never had this problem with the other amp:think:

That noise is always associated with a bad ground. Happened to my friends car, grounded to a different location, and it went away.

Cheap quality amps will almost always have noise, no matter what you do. I would try tty shielded cables like Bohall said, and run them down the other side of the truck. NOT the same side as the power wire. If that doesn't work and you have a good ground, I would sell that amp. Especially since you said you had zero engine noise with the old amp.

cheaper amps can have problems with noise and the rca's being ran next to the power wire can be a cause too thats why i mentioned it since you said you checked ground and was good. id do what scott said and sell that one and go back to one that worked as well as buy some better shielded rcas and run them on the opposite side.

Thanks guys. Gunna try this out when I get outta work.

Hate to get rid of the 1000, hits so damn hard. 250 will sound like regular radio now lol

I have had 3 of these amplifiers installed in 3 different vehicles. There's no doubt that they sound amazing when working properly, but I did encounter the alternator whine/feedback on all 3 amps. The solution was to connect a Kicker KX3 Electronic Crossover, which has a built in ground isolation loop, to remove the alternator feedback. I recommend the kicker x-over because I later tried 2 different brands of x-overs on my second and third amp, with negative results. I dished out the money for the more expensive kicker x-overs and they worked wonders.