cvand789

Mar 30, 2014
Michigan
Been a while since my last post. Ive been working pretty hard on building my truck up -- i will post some pictures here in the next couple of days.

Looking for your guys' help on this problem I have.

I'm running Doug Thorley Tri-Y' headers with ORY into a 18" dynomax bullet, 3" tailpipe, 6" tip. It is quite loud, but I absolutely love the way it sounds (most of the time). During normal take-offs at around 2400 RPM to about 3100 RPM it makes a crackle louder and unlike anything I have ever heard. I've had the set up on for a few weeks trying to decide to keep it or change it, but unfortunately as good as it sounds at W.O.T. I need something a bit more practical.

I am still looking to keep the "race style" muffler if possible, I just need something to get rid of the crackle. I don't mind a little but this really is ridiculous.

I was thinking about possibly adding another bullet but I am unsure which size to run? I've looked into the borla XR-1 mufflers but don't know much about them as they come in both round and oval shapes. Magnaflow also makes a very big case race muffler, I believe it is something like 24 or 32".

I'm definitely not an exhaust guru so your guys' knowledge will really be appreciated.

Thanks.

cvand789

Mar 30, 2014
Michigan
Forgot…its a 5.3 w/ a blackbear tune. Don't think a muffler change will affect the tune but if someone could confirm that, that would be awesome too. Thanks everyone.

cvand789

Mar 30, 2014
Michigan
you can put a second smaller bullet in front of it. ideally, what i would do is the bullet you have now, and then a short magnaflow muffler. it will sound very similar just overal quieter and no crackle.

Which magnaflow muffler would you recommend to pair with the bullet I have?
I don't mind the noise level, I actually sort of like it lol. When it doesn't crackle or pop it literally is like the best sounding truck I've ever heard.

I just need the crackle gone. When it isn't popping it sounds like a damn race car.

Last edited:

Samuel6731

Cant Get Right
Mar 11, 2012
New Roads La.
All your race style mufflers will have crackle. Specially an 18" case.

IMO dynomax and magnaflow are very very similar in sound/tone in fact they are my favorite. I find the borla a little more raspy.

Heres my opinion- the magnaflow and dynomax 18" are great until you put headers on with no cats they are to loud and being to get raspy. I mostly try to suggest to step up to a 22" oval case magnaflow http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mpe-14579/overview/

Being the larger case, you will still have a very noticeable exhaust and throaty tone when you on it with less raspy popping noise. If you really want an ideal setup invest in a exhaust cutout

I also wouldnt stack mufflers unless they are the exact same

All your race style mufflers will have crackle. Specially an 18" case.

IMO dynomax and magnaflow are very very similar in sound/tone in fact they are my favorite. I find the borla a little more raspy.

Heres my opinion- the magnaflow and dynomax 18" are great until you put headers on with no cats they are to loud and being to get raspy. I mostly try to suggest to step up to a 22" oval case magnaflow http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mpe-14579/overview/

Being the larger case, you will still have a very noticeable exhaust and throaty tone when you on it with less raspy popping noise. If you really want an ideal setup invest in a exhaust cutout

I also wouldnt stack mufflers unless they are the exact same

lots of people with long tubes with a muffler that complain about rasp or loudness suggest putting a bullet infront of it, why not do the reverse and add a muffler to the bullet?

Fiesty

Jul 28, 2013
Kansas City, MO
I used to have an Aeroturbine 3030xl. It was too raspy so I added an 18" bullet in front. Cut down on the rasp but there was some still there. It won't go away completely with LTs and ORY. I swapped the Aeroturbine muffler for a 24" Magnaflow, still have the Bullet too. It's very quiet, prob not what u want.

cvand789

Mar 30, 2014
Michigan
I picked up a knock off magna flow muffler for 30 bucks the other day, its just the oval style 14"…I might either try that and see how it sounds or try a resonator. I had my long tubes on a gibson dual sport system and it didn't crackle but the tone was funny…that's why I'm afraid to put the other muffler on.

j.mo

Apr 24, 2012
Nor Cal
I have a 12" bullet up by my Y and an oval XR-1. Sounds the tits
Would recommend.
I have LT's, no cats.

scarber08

Apr 22, 2012
Running a 16" xr-1 atm. Raspy until it warms up. Maintains it's tone throughout the RPMs. Actually almost wish it was a tad louder. 4.8/lts/ory.