My MVA today.

Yeah, even the cop tried to tell me that it was possible I totaled the truck when I hit him, and I might have to pay part of his. :ayfkm:

I agree with that, I just hope my insurance company does and makes it clear that they aren't paying for it, because we already did. It was completely out of our control because of the ice.
I still hate that I had to be involved.. What if and why has went through my head a billion times in the last two days, but there's nothing I can do. It sucks, though.

Sorry to see man. But like others have said, be glad no one was hurt!
Honestly to me, Im going to guess its prob toast bc the airbags popped, but who knows! Im not an insurance agent lol. Hope everything works out for you. Be glad you can walk and talk, theres always more silverados out there!

I've forgotten to say the most important thing right now, thank you to everyone that has shown their care and compassion and shared their opinion. Tyler (friend) told me today that yesterday morning was the first morning he has ever woken up and thought how thankful he is to be alive.
On another note, I am more than thankful that everyone stayed safe in this mess. That is what actually is the most important to me in general. I couldn't imagine what would've happened if I would have killed my friend, or got anyone hurt. The officers said if my truck would've hit another foot over, it would have crushed his legs and probably pinned him in the truck. We definitely has god with us Tuesday.
Last thing, I've had a continuous headache from what I think it a pretty bad whiplash for the last two days. It feels like when you flip backwards and land on your neck. I've tried tylenol and advil, but they aren't helping, so I'm just waiting for it to go away on its own. I don't think its anything serious, but its better to be safe than sorry, so I figured I would see if anyone knew anything about it or had a similar problem before?

I've actually replaced everything on an 89 front end inlcuding the dash and steering components with my dad a couple years back, then last summer I changed all front panels, radiator, and a few small things on a nbs from my uncle hitting a deer.
But, I had a body shop owner go with me to look at it a little today while I got my stuff out of it, and the owner said it most likely wasn't totaled. The frame isn't touched by anything but my front bumper, and he said by crawling under and around it, it doesn't look tweaked at all. He did say it would be hard to tell until it was all torn down, though.
I called the insurance today and the woman I talked to actually said what was said in above posts, that a lot of the times they'll go ahead and total it out if the airbags come out like that. I guess all I can do is wait until Tuesday and see, thats when the guy comes to look at it.

On to friends truck. My insurance and the cops said that the insurance companies might go up against each other and try to get mine to pay for 20% or more of his, because I hit him. I call bs on that, because the truck was total before I had anything to do with it. His insurance company came today. The guys words were "I was at more than 15k damage before I got to the hood." I don't know if he meant back to it or under it, but still. That proves that the truck was totaled before I hit it or anything, and I'm pretty sure it gets me out of it. Tuesday can't get here soon enough, though. I need to know something..

Just from the pictures alone, the body guys at work said it looks like a high hit and should be repairable. Also, I agree with what bagged00 said about the amount of work it will need.

Damage must be 60% or greater of the truck's value to be totaled. How many miles on it? With it being fairly new and if it has low miles, the airbags being deployed wouldn't matter.

Picked a random WV zip code, entered the options for your truck as best as I could and 50k miles, NADA has it at $25k so damage would have to be $15k or greater. If the engine bay is untouched other than core support and the other things you mentioned, I can't see it being $15k to fix. If the door being pushed back messed with the B pillar, that might be an issue.

How much do you owe on it?

Go to the hospital if you're insured. Neck injuries from accidents don't usually show up until a few days after. You want to get that handled before it gets worse, you don't want to be battling neck and spine pains for the rest of your life.

Just from the pictures alone, the body guys at work said it looks like a high hit and should be repairable. Also, I agree with what bagged00 said about the amount of work it will need.

Damage must be 60% or greater of the truck's value to be totaled. How many miles on it? With it being fairly new and if it has low miles, the airbags being deployed wouldn't matter.

Picked a random WV zip code, entered the options for your truck as best as I could and 50k miles, NADA has it at $25k so damage would have to be $15k or greater. If the engine bay is untouched other than core support and the other things you mentioned, I can't see it being $15k to fix. If the door being pushed back messed with the B pillar, that might be an issue.

How much do you owe on it?
im surprised at 60%. maybe some insurance companies I guess? but that's mighty low. barely half the value of the truck. most ive seen is 80% or more. ive also never seen a vehicle totaled because of airbags. hell my parents acadia deployed all air bags(about 5) except for the passenger air bag. it was a 15k job and it didn't total. as for totaling your buddies truck, if they blame it on you your gonna pay 20% of the value of the truck. but who gives a shit, that's what insurance is for. just let them deal with all that.

I was incorrect at 60%, it's 75% in MD and may be different in other states. If safety and structure are more than75% they total but some insurance companies will take the cosmetic repairs out of the estimate to keep it from totaling.

Truck is 2010 with right under 53k on it. It still has 47k drivetrain warranty and 7k bumper to bumper. I think its 75% here, I'm not really sure. I don't think theres that much damage, but I could be wrong once the truck is pulled apart. The waiting game it is.

But, towards the neck feels pulled. Girlfriends dad is a PA, so I asked him about it today, and he said if it stayed at the same pain level that I needed to go. He looked at my back today, and I think wrecking knocked 2 ribs out, because I just had 3 of them popped back in about 2 weeks ago, and now different ones are out. I've kept a pounding headache all day today, and working on conduit and building a structure for motors pushbuttons and more switches (what I do for half of my school day) made it ten times worse today. I'm gonna wait and see what happens tomorrow and maybe sunday, and if I'm not getting any better, I plan to go.
I just hate dealing with it all together. This has been the second worst week I've had so far, and it seems to just keep getting more difficult, because insurance called today and explained that rates were gonna go up quite a bit because of it, and how that they definitely wouldn't get out to look at the truck until tuesday, the guy was too busy on mondays. Another thing that is annoying me, is now I'm gonna be out of my truck while its being fixed, and friend will have a new one by this weekend.

Take things day by day bud. Dont get too stressed about any of it, just will make things worse. Take care of your health before the truck, a bad neck or back can really, REALLY haunt you down the road so for sure get that taken care of.

I'd also suggest shopping around for a better rate if they are going to jack yours up after it.

I forgot to update this any, but I went to the Dr about my neck, and he told me it was whiplash, but it would go away, and it did, thank god. But I'm still so stressed over it and I'm already tired of driving the diesel around. I want my truck back.

I was with Tyler when he called the insurance today, and the lady tried everything in her power to try to get him to say it was my fault that I hit him, and not the ice. He said he didn't think so, that he thought both of us had no control on what happened, or where we went. She even asked if he was sure, and he told her yeah, that he wasn't going to blame me when it was obvious I couldn't do anything. That's a great friend if you ask me.

Also, insurance guy came today and looked at the truck, and he told the wrecker service that he thought the truck was totaled, but then he told me he thought it was repairable, and got a shop name from me and such. He also got all of the mods I had done to or on the truck, and is supposed to call tonight or tomorrow morning with the damage totals and stuff. I find this to be weird, since my friends (state farm) came, looked at the truck, and told him right there how much damage and such was done. I don't think it's going to be very accurate going by what he writes down and looking at it again once he settles down in his chair or whatever and thinks about it. But, it's his job, so I guess he must at least know a little about what he's doing. I have nationwide btw.

Insurance adjuster just called. Truck apparently have 9k damage to it visible, but they're allowing more for when its all torn down and can really be looked at. The guy told me it was possible for me to put an aftermarket hood and anything else I could find in same price or lower than an OEM or used part that the repair shop finds.
Soo, anyone have any suggestions on hood or grille? As of now, gonna try to find a red ltz split grille for lower than oem price, and maybe an RGK hood or something similar. The truck pretty much needs a whole new front end. The passenger side doors are also in the quote, with new airbags and dash pieces. I'm thinking of trying to wrk out a deal with the shop to go ahead and paint my interior plastics and some other stuff red while they're doing the rest of it.
I couldn't be more excited for my truck to begin the road to recovery. I just hope to have it back soon. I was also thinking of using my days off of school and free days to see if I could sand things that I wanted painted for the shop, or do something else to help add in the panting of some pieces.

Also get a new hood scoop if I don't get a different hood. :eek:mg:

Glad everyone was ok after that wild ride. Seems like your insurance is taking there time on trying to get your truck back on the road. Any news lately of what's going on now?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Switched shop at the beginning of the week because the guy was trying to tell me the truck needed 18 hours of frame work now, and that it would be around 12k to fix, and I told him he was full of shit, I would be out to get the truck the next day. So, I had it picked up Tuesday morning and taken to a different guy that my mom went to school with.
Worked out with him that the truck might need tops an hour on the passenger frame horn, but he ordered all parts except hood wednesday and thursday, and told me he could do the truck for 9k even with any hood I wanted, a '13 grille, fix the scratch and dents on the bed of the truck, and colormatched impact bar. All I have to do is stop and pick out the hood. He told me the truck would take about a week to finish once he got all the parts, he was waiting on a couple things, a book for hoods, and a bumper bracket for my body lift. Truck should be up and going by the beginning of April if everything goes good this week. Snow delayed everything thursday and friday, and we're supposed to get more tomorrow night, so idk. But, fingers crossed all parts come in and are right so he can get started. Side note, the truck drives around just fine, lol. Its been started and moved a couple times once more coolant was put in.

Well, I thought I would have the truck monday, but nooo.
I stopped Friday to look over everything and the guy told me he had bad news, that my pinion and shaft is apparently shattered, in his words. He said they pulled the truck into the shop then when they went to back it out noticed that only one wheel was turning.
This, however, sounds a little fishy to me. If the shaft was broken, wouldn't it stop both wheels from turning, not just one? It sounds to me like its a tie rod that's broken, or the rack. He also told me friday that he couldn't order the split grille, that it wouldn't fit the truck, which I know it will, and I'm pretty pissed that he ordered the chrome and wasn't even going to tell me until I asked about it.
Nick, body shop owner, said the insurance guy couldn't come until thursday to approve the parts order, so it would be thursday or friday before he could order a new one, and about the monday or tuesday it would be here, and the truck should be ready in about 2.5 more weeks.
I've been more than irate about it all weekend, and I still am. I'm trying to get the insurance guy to come earlier, and for them to let me order a grille and pay me back for it when it fits the truck.
Good news, I got a red impact bar, headlights without the black on them, and a scratch on my back end fixed while it was there. Now to just get the grille I want.
I'm not too happy with the hood, either, but that's a different story that I'm not getting into because it pisses me off, too.