My MVA today.

Pretty sure it is standard to get tickets in this situation, they will say your friend was driving too fast for the conditions and that you were following too close. Not saying right or wrong just how it is.

Sucks for both of you but glad everyone is ok.

Did your bed come forward and hit the rear of your cab? That seems to always happen when Chevy/GMC trucks take a hard hit to the front. I'd just be glad that all of you are safe, your friend looks like he went for a RIDE.

I'm guessing it probably looked something like this:

Last edited by a moderator:
fuuuuuuuuuuuu that RCSB got demo'd. Glad your okay though dude!

Judging by the scoop, the supercharger is NOT OKAY...which means its probably they probably total it. :(

Tickets are definitely normal, at least here. Why can't you afford a truck if yours is totaled, decent insurance companies will give market value so you can replace the vehicle. My parents ended up getting 1200 more than they were asking for their Suburban and boat when my dad wrecked them on the way to get the boat checked out.

sucks to hear about the trucks but glad everyone is okay. sucks on the tickets but im sure thats a standard thing that is done. probably gona total your truck since that hoodscoop got tweaked.

I absolutely hate that this happened to my truck. Honestly just makes me depressed. It definitely has today at least. I don't know how I'm gonna afford another truck like this, because the payments were already pretty high, but had got knocked down for a few things, and they were right in the payable amount. Now, insurance is going up even farther and just a lot of stuff is popping up at the same time.
Back to the either good news, or idk news. I took a better look at the truck today. My frame horns aren't bent. Not even my tow hooks. The only things that are hurt are the whole front end, the windshield, and the passenger door. It pushed it back about a cm or two. Anyone have any kind of idea of what exactly could have caused that or fix it with the door? My front end is pushed probably 2-3 inches to the right, but I think its just the fenders and supports, because the right side of my bumper is where its supposed to be.
I took these pictures today:
Wreck4.jpg

Wreck2.jpg

Wreck6.jpg

As you might see, the only thing touching in the engine bay is the air tube, but all of the air box is crushed, and the coolant container. I don't think anything else is hurt, but I can't get the hood up to see anything else, so who knows. I just hope its fixable.
Back to my real question of the day. I really want to be able to tear the truck down, order my own parts, replace them all, and just have the insurance pay for parts and paint. Has anyone ever heard of an insurance company going for this? I know it would save a lot of money for them with the repair shops around here, and I could also have a certified mechanic around with me to do it. I guess all I can do is ask, though, right?

One last thing, people and teachers at my school and places are swearing that we were racing, and it's honestly pissing me off more than anything right now. Until they were in the truck with me or driving it, they need to keep out of it. I had a teacher come to me today and tell me how he knew I was racing with Tyler, even after I said numerous times how I wasn't, and even the boy that was in the truck with me explained how we weren't. I'm honestly about to go off on the man, and then go to his higher up's about it. There has to be some kind of way to get him in trouble for saying all of this and telling everyone that we were. Or am I in the wrong there?
Thanks for everyones opinion, btw. Idk if anyone noticed, but the hoodscoop found a better place. lol

Depends on insurance company, mine will just wright a check and say get it fixed, but my FIL got into a fender bender and the only way they would pay for it was when said body shop faxed a final bill to them. You just need to talk to your ins adjuster.

As for said teacher, tell him if he wasn't there then piss off. Shit like that pisses me off when when people like that run their mouth and don't even know whet they're talking about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have State Farm, both times I got rear ended the adjuster came out and they made their estimate. The second time, I went to 2 body shops to get other quotes just to see. Both times we came to an agreed upon price, they cut me a check and I fixed the car myself

There is 3 body shops in town with the insurance co, and a few about 30 minutes from me. But my truck is immobile, so idk how I'm gonna haul it around to get different quotes, lol. Any idead on that?
But, I'm gonna try my best to get the check cut, and find the cheapest part list that I can,and maybe some aftermarket stuff, and save the rest for paint. If the case is that it isn't totaled out, which I don't think it is.

Edit: Should I wait and not mention anything about fixing it myself until after the guy looks at it, or should I say it first thing?

Last edited:
Victory red grille just posted. fuuuu.
But, I think everything will go okay. I'd much rather buy stuff and fix it on my own opposed to having the slow busy body shops around here do it and half ass it, which it was happens.

probably totaled. If not I wouldn't do that job without experience. this isn't gonna be a simple bolt on panel job. u need a new core support and probably everything mounted to it, new hood, all the bumper shit, probably a little frame work, new fender, probably a little work where the fender bolts onto the cab. IF this truck doesn't total, with no experience, do not fix it yourself. you will fuck it up, or end up taking it to a shop. with that said, in most scenarios ive ever seen the vehicle needs to be paid off for them to just write you a check. if the truck is financed or has a lean on it they wont just write you a check cause whose to say you wont pocket the cash, the lender is fucked. they generally will write the insurance check to you and the lender.

alot of insurance companies will total it out just for the deployed airbags.. and werd on what bagged00 said when i wrecked my old truck the adjuster told me the total they were going to pay for the truck paid off the loan and sent me the remainder. glad nobody got hurt tho looks like a pretty nasty wreck

Agree with what Ryan said as well. It sounds like there's a lean on it, they aren't just going to cut you a check. Earlier you said something about getting parts off the truck if it were totaled. My suggestion is bring it to a body shop with someone you know working there. It's a bit shady, but sometimes they'll let you swap out stereos, take off tonneau covers, swap wheels, etc. but you aren't going to be able to just take exhaust and shit off, insurance adjusters will notice that and come back on you/the body shop for it if they do decide to total it.

I've actually replaced everything on an 89 front end inlcuding the dash and steering components with my dad a couple years back, then last summer I changed all front panels, radiator, and a few small things on a nbs from my uncle hitting a deer.
But, I had a body shop owner go with me to look at it a little today while I got my stuff out of it, and the owner said it most likely wasn't totaled. The frame isn't touched by anything but my front bumper, and he said by crawling under and around it, it doesn't look tweaked at all. He did say it would be hard to tell until it was all torn down, though.
I called the insurance today and the woman I talked to actually said what was said in above posts, that a lot of the times they'll go ahead and total it out if the airbags come out like that. I guess all I can do is wait until Tuesday and see, thats when the guy comes to look at it.

On to friends truck. My insurance and the cops said that the insurance companies might go up against each other and try to get mine to pay for 20% or more of his, because I hit him. I call bs on that, because the truck was total before I had anything to do with it. His insurance company came today. The guys words were "I was at more than 15k damage before I got to the hood." I don't know if he meant back to it or under it, but still. That proves that the truck was totaled before I hit it or anything, and I'm pretty sure it gets me out of it. Tuesday can't get here soon enough, though. I need to know something..