Mettalikatt's 2004 Sierra

Alright guys, finally getting a chance to sit down since I started the install yesterday, yes it is done. However, the wheels aren't installed yet so finished pics are still not available.
Some install pics:

The McGaughy's lift was supposed to be fairly straightforward, an ordinary "driveway job" lift kit. Well I've got news for MCG and anyone wanting to buy their kit, it is not as simple as they'd like to make it seem. We (2 mechanics, and I) ran into a couple situations during the install that weren't addressed in the MCG instructions.

In these pictures you can see the MCG torsion bar drop brackets are about an INCH off of center for the torsion bar bracket! It was not even close! I don't know how MCG missed this one, I was really lucky that the shop I was at was a frame shop and we had some frame tools that allowed us to spread the torsion bar drop brackets to make the bar fit... Again, not a driveway type install there.

Ok, so second MCG Fuck up... There are some compression struts, (kicker braces) that install to the tranny mount. Ok, easy enough, until you realize that the instructions don't mention that the bolt cannot possibly come out without cutting it and some maneuvering because the cat is in the way.

Third MCG fuck up. The catalytic converter on the drivers' side in now way allows for the kicker braces to properly clear. Again, not sure why this wasn't stressed in the instructions.

Last edited:
So, we got it all installed and down on the ground, ready to eyeball an alignment and something jumped out at me, both tires were toed out a good bit and the tie-rods were adjusted all the way tight. FFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU. :yuno: My FFR Heims are too long with the MCG kit! So I had to put the stock inners/MCG outers on. The MCG lift shortens the distance between the centerlink and outer tie rod, just an FYI.
This really bummed me out, the heims really make the suspension look 100x better I think. :eek:kay2:

So, today I got up and went to my parents' house and showed my dad the new lift kit install, explained the problem I had with the Heims and we figured, "fuck it, lets start cutting." :hack: And so we did, we cut about 1/2" off of each end of the shafts and another 1/4" off one of the heim joints on each arm. This gave us about a 1&1/8" shorter tie rod per side, which is enough to bring the tires into check and then some. :fuckyea:
Pics of the modified tie rod vs. the original size.

Heims installed, :win:

OK OK OK! Just one picture before the new wheels go on.

Looks beefy dude, sucks about all the problems so you ran into.

Email MCG for the hell of it. All of my drop parts from them worked great, I wouldn't expect problems like this from them. Hopefully they can correct the issues

Loving the color, looks sick man. All those problems sounds like shit that happens to me haha

I may have missed it.. But what new wheels did you get??

Sent from my Galaxy S-Fawhore

nah, the LCA powder was really tough, and most of weight of the truck wasn't on the jack stands, they were touching "just in case" the jack failed.