Making an LBZ Look Halfway Decent on a Teenager's Budget

Was going to start the process of prepping the chassis, but its too damn cold and more than likely ill have access to a heated shop this weekend, so ill wait until then. All I got done was I scuffed the exhaust with a scotch brite and soapy water, to help prep it for paint. The exhaust tip is chrome but had a lot of rust showing through it, I went over it with a red scotch brite and it lost some of the rust, and gave it a brushed finish. Will get some CLR and do it again, to get rid of as much rust as I can. The plan was to scuff it and paint it gloss black, but it looks pretty cool brushed so I may leave it. Plus the paint would chip off so damn easy on the tip right behind the tire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got a little done today. Started prepping the frame today, and worked on refurbishing the chrome tip. I jacked the truck up, and scrubbed the entire undercarriage with a soap/degreaser/water mixture and a scotch brite. I will go over it lightly again with soapy water before I do the entire chassis in ospho. The ospho will work as an etching component, and seal the bare metal/rust. Then rustoleum gloss black super high performance paint (the silver can) will be brushed on where I can, and sprayed on where I can't brush it. Should turn out pretty good, already looks 100000x better just by scrubbing it.
uge3uga7.jpg

Didn't get any pics of the tip, but its starting to look better, got rid of as much rust as I could with a less aggressive scotch brite, and a product I got at the dollar store called "the works". It was right next to CLR and also says it removes calcium, lime, and rust, but it was only $1 vs $6 for CLR. Worked pretty good. The scotch brite definitely left some scratches/hazing marks in the chrome. I will try and polish em out with some chrome polish and a buffing wheel on a drill. Already looks better tho, but only from a distance.

Well I painted the frame, I ended up not taking as many pics because my hands were filthy and I was rushed.

This is where i started.
4yja5u8u.jpg

First I scrubbed with a red scotchbrite and soap/degreaser/water.
a4upahyr.jpg

Then used ospho, and a scotchbrite pad to seal the rust and it works as an etching component too. No pics of that.

After ospho, I wiped it down with a solvent and started brushing rustoleum gloss black on the big spots, once I brushed everywhere I could reach, I used a rattle can. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND USING THE RATLLE CANS ONLY. The brush on was a mess, and didn't flow out as smoothly as I anticipated, but did go on thick. Here's a few shots of it all painted.
udu4y3yg.jpg
y6arenyh.jpg

The next day, I went to work buffing/polishing this SOB. Only worked from the body line upwards, below the body line was pretty beat, and not really worth polishing much.
a6e9ysah.jpg

ne6uhazy.jpg

Then I removed the steps, and this is how it sits now.
py9ynuty.jpg

yqaju9a9.jpg
yvamepup.jpg

Much better without the steps. Demold that bitch.

Sent from my b hole

Leaving them on there until I get new willz, they've already saved me from a couple door dings.

http://ospho.com/

I think I bought the bottle I have at a true value store or an ace hardware store I can't remember. Good stuff thought. Very strong I was coughing my ass off and my eyes were watering. Prolly a good idea to wear a mask respirator thing but I didn't have one.

Picked up the Superchips Flashpaq today. Don't fuckin try to tell me it was a waste of money and I should've got EFI Live. I only paid $75 for it, worth it IMO and I don't want to push any more power than this superchips through my stock ally. http://youtu.be/PMsrOnND74A

i haven't done any research on superchips but it would be nice to get some more power and fuel mileage for just 75 bucks while saving up for efi live :shrug: where did you get it for 75 bucks ?

and are you impressed or disappointed ?

He got it from a kid that drives this lolz
6e8ynu3e.jpg
he has so much money in go fast.. But it's so ugly :rofl:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapashit

I'm neither impressed or disappointed, I wouldn't ever pay full price for a new superchips tho. I'm very satisfied with it for $75 tho.