lowering tip

texascowboy316

Mar 20, 2012
I have a 2010 silverado crew cab. It is stock but I want to look into lowering a bit. I was thinking a 2-4 drop I dont want to run into the same issue I had with my 06 crew cab with a 4-6 drop with the tire rub at every bump in the road. Any suggestions on kits ?

What size wheels and tires do you have? a 2/4 isn't going to be a very big/noticeable drop on a 07-13 model truck.

20's off a gmc crew cab 275 55 20 I think whatever is stock 20 and tires. I dont want to go to low but low enough to not have a rub on bumps and level truck too. Dont want to notch this frame either is why im asking.

On this subject I am wanting to do the same drop so what would be the best way to drop them, shocks shackles and remove block or spindles and rear springs? What are the pluses and minuses of each option? Is there a option I missed? Will we need a camber kit for the upper control arms?

This thread will answer some questions for the both of you.

http://customgm.com/lowering-tech/113-gmt900-nnbs-lowering-faq.html

As far as not notching you can go 5" in the rear for sure on a crew cab, many say 6" and I believe it but I do not have a crewcab therefore I don't want to say you can and then you not be able to. I am 7" out back on my single cab and only hit frame on really large bumps or if I'm loaded down hauling something.

Texas, I currently am running 275/55/20's on mine again at the moment and have no problems rubbing in the front and only on large bumps do they hit in the rear when I bottom out. Other than that there are no problems with my tires rubbing.

As far as parts there are many different ones to choose from as evidenced in the thread I posted. I currently have all McG parts with 2" coil relocators and spindles in the front with a flip kit in the rear and belltech shocks. You can get any of these parts from our vendor Tim at timssuspension as he is very helpful or if you prefer Belltech parts then don't hesitate to give our vendor Kris at thesuspension source a shout and she'll be more than helpful as well.

Go 4/6, like stated above it takes alot of drop to get these trucks really low. I have a 4/6 on my 08 crew, with no notch and I don't bottom out. I used energy suspension pancake style bump stops for the most clearance. My drop is all belltech, kit #647sp. Comes with adjustable struts, spindles, camber bushings, flip kit and shocks. I have had factory 20's on with 275 55 20 (stock size) and no rub.

On this subject I am wanting to do the same drop so what would be the best way to drop them, shocks shackles and remove block or spindles and rear springs? What are the pluses and minuses of each option? Is there a option I missed? Will we need a camber kit for the upper control arms?

In the front you can do springs, adjustable struts or spindles to achieve a 2" drop. Out back you can do shackles and block removal or do a flip kit with lift hanger and lift shackle. I'd stay away from drop leafs, people say they don't ride good.

Thanks Truckin, I was going to do the leafs but don't think I will now. I've been looking at all the options and the spindles freak me out a little grinding on the ball joints and running a nut with 3 threads on the bottom joint so I am leaning towards Belltech drop struts and shackles and taking out the block. I'll start with the 2/3 for now and see if the bug gets worse and then I can look to spindles and a flip kit. Do you think I should throw the alignment cams in right away or will it align without them? Thanks for your help.

Thanks Truckin, I was going to do the leafs but don't think I will now. I've been looking at all the options and the spindles freak me out a little grinding on the ball joints and running a nut with 3 threads on the bottom joint so I am leaning towards Belltech drop struts and shackles and taking out the block. I'll start with the 2/3 for now and see if the bug gets worse and then I can look to spindles and a flip kit. Do you think I should throw the alignment cams in right away or will it align without them? Thanks for your help.

Promise the bug will hit, always does :rofl: I went straight to a 4/7 at 20,000 miles and I'm at 66,000 now and havn't had a problem with the spindles or nut. My balljoints did start wearing a little bit but mostly because we tore them some when we installed my kit so I replaced them with new moog ones at about 50,000 miles........with just a 2/3 you won't need the alignment cams yet at all, they should be able to get you lined back up without any problem at all with that mild of a drop.

Thanks Smith, I am running 285/45R22's on my truck. I want to keep a little ground clearance for the days I have to drive through 8 inches of snow up here in Wisconsin.

Thanks Smith, I am running 285/45R22's on my truck. I want to keep a little ground clearance for the days I have to drive through 8 inches of snow up here in Wisconsin.

I was gonna do a 2/4 myself, but said f#@! it and went 4/6. 4/6 isn't all that low on these trucks, especially if you have stock size tires like you do. I drove my 95 silverado 2WD with a 4/6 in the winter for a few years and never got stuck. My 08 is 4WD with a 4/6. Is yours 4 wheel drive?

I'm not sure where you are in WI, but I live in north east IL. If you lived close to me, I could let you check out my truck.

Last edited:
We have vendors that sell drops, email them. Suspension Source does NOT sell MCG but they are a good company.