TwistedWrangler

Feb 24, 2016
Terrible Haute, IN
Hello! I have read pages and pages of threads to the point where I am more confused than before I started. Here is what I have and want to do. 2005 Silverado 1500 crew cad 2 wd with 1 piece aluminum drive shaft. I have decided to go with the Mcgaughys 5/7 drop and run a 22x9's wrapped with 265/35/22 tire. I believe that I need at least a +19 offset with 5.75" back spacing if I remember the Tuckahoe chart correctly. I figure I would also run their shocks unless there is something better for the same money. I see a lot of crew cabs on here so if any of you see something that I may be missing or even if I am on track please let me know. I may go 4/6 if the 5/7 isn't daily driver friendly too if you have input on that. Pics of crew cabs with specs is also greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Khaos

Bed Dent Club Founder
Mar 24, 2012
Albany, NY
Welcome to the site.

I'm not too knowledgeable when it comes to dropping crew cabs. Reg cabs I know a bit about, but hopefully someone chimes in with more info for you.

In the mean time, post some pictures of the truck!

TwistedWrangler

Feb 24, 2016
Terrible Haute, IN
Thanks for the welcomes and input so far. I am told crew cabs have some drive shaft rubbing issues that I want to be clear on before I start. Also whether rolling fenders etc will be required. Being a dd I don't have time for surprises when I go to do this. If it was a Jeep I'd pull it in and be done in a few hours but this is a new route for me. Done a couple but not enough to fell 100% going in. As for now it's just an old grandpa truck I bought when we found out number 2 was on the way. Now it's time to do something! I'd ad a picture but can't on the phone. I will post progress when things start to happen!

BigBoi

Mar 14, 2012
St George SC
Welcome!

Download the Tapatalk app and you can easily browse the forum and post pics straight from your phone.

TwistedWrangler

Feb 24, 2016
Terrible Haute, IN
Welcome!

Download the Tapatalk app and you can easily browse the forum and post pics straight from your phone.

Once I clear all the pics off my phone I will! No room at all! Even had to delete my flashlight!

- - - - - - - - - -auto merged double post- - - - - - - - - -

You Finna run helpers?

I hadnt planned on it but from what I have read it may be a must. McG has a kit for $300 but I d rather use the $200 kit from ride tech I believe it is! This may have to come down the road. working on a limited budget! If I can get my wheels and tires cheaper then it may work now.

Jared

Administrator
Feb 8, 2012
North Dallas
Ok. So I ran belltech springs and no spindles first with a belltech flip kit and mcg notch. I hated the 3" springs. Traded for mcg springs and did mcg spindles. Added mcg helpers. Helpers really didn't make the ride much different. I don't care what anyone says. A solid rear shock is better! But it was nice airing up some with loads or to run a tad higher in the rear when wanted.

5" sucks without the mini tub mod. No rear fender mod needed for stock wheels. The center lines I was trading for would have rubbed.

I eventually went to ridetech coilovers and that was the best damn investment I made. Truck rode so much better and I could adjust height and ride quality. That's my input. Take it or leave it. Happy modding.

TwistedWrangler

Feb 24, 2016
Terrible Haute, IN
Ok. So I ran belltech springs and no spindles first with a belltech flip kit and mcg notch. I hated the 3" springs. Traded for mcg springs and did mcg spindles. Added mcg helpers. Helpers really didn't make the ride much different. I don't care what anyone says. A solid rear shock is better! But it was nice airing up some with loads or to run a tad higher in the rear when wanted.

5" sucks without the mini tub mod. No rear fender mod needed for stock wheels. The center lines I was trading for would have rubbed.

I eventually went to ridetech coilovers and that was the best damn investment I made. Truck rode so much better and I could adjust height and ride quality. That's my input. Take it or leave it. Happy modding.

I don't really want to mini tub. I'll have to look into the coilovers. That isn't even something that I have seen come up in all my research. I usuall place those with race cars of big lifts. So, in your opinion is it better to do the 4/6? Like i said this will be a DD and i need it to be functional. I also like the idea of the helpers for the times I don have to load the bed up. I don't have a problem trimming for the drive shaft as long as it doesn't mess with the integrity of anything. Thanks for all your input.

Jared

Administrator
Feb 8, 2012
North Dallas
4/6 is definitely a better option all around. I will link you to the thread on pt.net with coilovers. We have two other members here with coilovers, and there are a couple local guys here near me that aren't members with them.

Jared

Administrator
Feb 8, 2012
North Dallas
read all the way through
Ridetech Coil-overs Installed gmt-800 - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

Moore, a member here has them too. I have a thread here, but it is not any where near as informative as the above link^. Another member who isn't active bought a set from a fellow member and likes them as well. So, a rcsb, ecsb and my ccsb has them. HUGE difference. You can easily get a 3" drop with coilovers alone and not need spindles. Or get spindles and coilovers and adjust it to 4" and have a great ride, the lower you go will effect the ride obviously. I would recommend coilovers and spindles for the best setup. With the settings you can make it more of a firm ride and not worry about rubbing the inner fender too. The mini tub isn't bad. All you do is trim some of the inner fender out. Send me your email I have some pics that Bohall sent me of his mini tube, plus a few other members here can chime in!

Where you live, and were you travel will play a key role in drop levels. Dallas can suck so 5/8 was a pain in the ass. Always dodging potholes and dips in the road can be irritating. Not being able to make it in certain driveways, parking lots, etc sucks. I was at 5.5" for the longest time, even 6" at one point...FUCK THAT! Not without an actual tub and a sectioned transmission crossmember. Which I suggest at 5". 4" I probably wouldn't stress the trans xmember. Hell, there were times I couldn't go to car washes with my truck. I drug the entrance to my garage all the time with the small lip that it has.

The truck looked great, got tons of complients, and I dealt with the bs because I did love the overall look. But it comes with its share of headaches. Looking back, my 3/5 was my all around favorite drop. 4/6-8 was nice, 5/8 looked awesome but drove me to lose some hair...

Last edited:

TwistedWrangler

Feb 24, 2016
Terrible Haute, IN
read all the way through
Ridetech Coil-overs Installed gmt-800 - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

Moore, a member here has them too. I have a thread here, but it is not any where near as informative as the above link^. Another member who isn't active bought a set from a fellow member and likes them as well. So, a rcsb, ecsb and my ccsb has them. HUGE difference. You can easily get a 3" drop with coilovers alone and not need spindles. Or get spindles and coilovers and adjust it to 4" and have a great ride, the lower you go will effect the ride obviously. I would recommend coilovers and spindles for the best setup. With the settings you can make it more of a firm ride and not worry about rubbing the inner fender too. The mini tub isn't bad. All you do is trim some of the inner fender out. Send me your email I have some pics that Bohall sent me of his mini tube, plus a few other members here can chime in!

Where you live, and were you travel will play a key role in drop levels. Dallas can suck so 5/8 was a pain in the ass. Always dodging potholes and dips in the road can be irritating. Not being able to make it in certain driveways, parking lots, etc sucks. I was at 5.5" for the longest time, even 6" at one point...FUCK THAT! Not without an actual tub and a sectioned transmission crossmember. Which I suggest at 5". 4" I probably wouldn't stress the trans xmember. Hell, there were times I couldn't go to car washes with my truck. I drug the entrance to my garage all the time with the small lip that it has.

The truck looked great, got tons of complients, and I dealt with the bs because I did love the overall look. But it comes with its share of headaches. Looking back, my 3/5 was my all around favorite drop. 4/6-8 was nice, 5/8 looked awesome but drove me to lose some hair...

The coil overs sound awesome but are almost the cost of the McG kit! This is definitely a budget build that cannot swing that. If I was going to spend that much I would probably hold out for a bagged set up which is the ultimate goal.

The mini tub is a lot more simple than I had expected. I pictured more of like what it would take in the back. I can trim. That doesn't cost anything either.

I may have to lean towards the 4/6 more so than 5/7. I can the idea of being as low as possible but still want drivability too. If only I could see the same truck with both! Maybe it would help me choose!

- - - - - - - - - -auto merged double post- - - - - - - - - -

OK. I may be able to get a deal on these wheels. They are 22x9.5 but measure 9. They have a +30 offset. I have read the tuckable chart and it seems they will work. Am I reading it right?

Wheels
http://www.dubwheels.com/skillz-s122-w-15868.htm

Chart
http://www.4crawler.com/Diesel/Images/BackspaceOffsetConversion.jpg