lock tumbler/cylinder

Jared

Administrator
Feb 8, 2012
North Dallas
Didn't see a thread on this, my driver door is busted, can't get a key into it. Will the keep need to be replaced? Or can the tumbler be replaced but still work with the same key? I've never had to deal with this.

My GMC only has one hole but the Chevy has two. You can get another cylinder from the dealer, give them your vin and they can get one already keyed for you.

Didn't see a thread on this, my driver door is busted, can't get a key into it. Will the keep need to be replaced? Or can the tumbler be replaced but still work with the same key? I've never had to deal with this.

I couldn't get my key in mine a while ago either. I just sprayed some wd-40 on it and started slowly working the key until it was working smooth again.

Worth a shot if you havent tried already

Either the dealer , or a good locksmith. You can get a used one from a junkyard any competent locksmith can rekey it to work with your key. Or you can go the el-cheapo route and buy a tumbler and key from autozone and have a separate key for the door.
I can remember the last time I used my key to unlock my door. Probably the last time my battery went dead.

how much would it cost to "rekey" it? I don't want ghetto, so I don't want different keys such as Scotty was suggesting. That was my first thought and dnw.

When I had a break in, I was gonna buy a new lock and have it rekeyed. I called two locksmiths and one said $45 the other said $30. And that was with me bringing in the actual lock already removed from the door. It was WAY more if he had to R&R the lock.
Since it was the passenger door, I said fuckit and put a non-keyhole handle on it. That was actually my excuse to the wife to get color matched doorhandles. I bought 4 color matched handles for the same price it would have cost for one new textured handle, a new lock, and then the cost to have said lock rekeyed to match the rest of my locks.

TBH I'm not even sure my tumbler works. I haven't used it since I bought the truck :lol:

You'll save a lot if the dealer doesn't charge you an hour and a half to replace your tumbler.

The way I see it the best balance between least headaches and cheapest route would be an OEM VIN spec tumbler and you install it yourself.