Led turn signals hyper flash.

Da_Rebel

Just another guy
Mar 8, 2012
Sanger, TX
I apologize in advance if I have any spelling or grammatical errors while I type this. I'm on my phone at the moment.

I'm installing led turn signals in my truck. Already did the DRLs last week with 6-ohm, 50-watt resistors. They work just fine. I wired in the same type of resistors on both power wires for the turn signal. I tested it, hazards work fine, but turn signals hyper flash. I've only done the passenger side so far; I'm wondering if I need to go the relay route, or if I'm doing something wrong. I am working with switchback led bulbs.

Thanks in advance.

Da_Rebel

Just another guy
Mar 8, 2012
Sanger, TX
I didn't get hyper flash from DRLs, I installed those last week. I'm having issues with the turn signals hyper flashing.

BlkSlvrdo129

Feb 9, 2012
He means you didn't need resistors on the DRL circuit in the first place, since they don't blink. They're just making heat for nothing right now.

Da_Rebel

Just another guy
Mar 8, 2012
Sanger, TX
He means you didn't need resistors on the DRL circuit in the first place, since they don't blink. They're just making heat for nothing right now.

Before I installed this mod, I searched around for all the information that I could regarding and LED DRL upgrade. It's hit and miss on the Silverados as to whether the LED bulbs will fry very quickly due to power surges. I decided to be safe than sorry, so yes, I did wire in resistors.

BlkSlvrdo129

Feb 9, 2012
Before I installed this mod, I searched around for all the information that I could regarding and LED DRL upgrade. It's hit and miss on the Silverados as to whether the LED bulbs will fry very quickly due to power surges. I decided to be safe than sorry, so yes, I did wire in resistors.

You would have to wire a resistor in series with the bulb socket to reduce voltage at the bulb though, and in such a case you'd want a resistor with a lot more resistance, like 15ohm, 1/2W. Putting the 6ohm resistor in parallel is just dissipating power in this case.

BlkSlvrdo129

Feb 9, 2012
The DRLs. As long as they're still operating as OE (i.e., they're only DRLs and you didn't turn them into signals), the way you have the resistor wired is incorrect for the application, and the resistor size is superfluous.

To drop the voltage at the socket, with the current rating for the LED bulb known, you need to wire in a carbon resistor in series with the positive signal power wire.

Like this:

3039194701_c181173453_z.jpg

Da_Rebel

Just another guy
Mar 8, 2012
Sanger, TX
The DRLs. As long as they're still operating as OE (i.e., they're only DRLs and you didn't turn them into signals), the way you have the resistor wired is incorrect for the application, and the resistor size is superfluous.

To drop the voltage at the socket, with the current rating for the LED bulb known, you need to wire in a carbon resistor in series with the positive signal power wire.

:shake: Ok, where would I be able to pick up two of these? I don't mind paying for quality. I appreciate the info on this.

BlkSlvrdo129

Feb 9, 2012
You might get lucky and be able to find it locally at a radio shack or computer repair/supply store, but they're easy to find online and you can get the size you want too.

BlkSlvrdo129

Feb 9, 2012
I'd probably get a few different sizes, and use test leads and a couple lengths of wire right off the battery to get the voltage you want to see before cutting apart the wiring harness.

James

Mar 21, 2012
The Boot
Okay, I'll bump this with some questions I have personally.

Couple months ago I cut off the drl socket and taped harness up And tucked it back, I bought two turn signal harnesses( one for both sides, and spliced into original turn signal harness, so now I have the corner 194/t10 socket and two turn signals per side.

Recently went to led bulbs across all of those. Wired resistors into the oem turn signal, which is tied into the second turn signal. Solved my hyper flashing issue as well.

Here is my problem, with key on aux, not running, turn signal on one side works flawless, and other side is completely off like it should be.

Now when the truck is running, with headlights off and one blinker on, other side
has a faint flashing, almost as if I had hazards on, same thing if I switch blinker to other side.

Should I try pulling the 194 bulbs and see if it fixes it, been trying to research it for past hour.

James

Mar 21, 2012
The Boot
Failed to mention that I did that already, but when headlights were on, still hyper flashed.
( before I added resistors)

At lunch I'm going to look at that control box pin again, and if that doesn't work ill pull the 194 bulbs to see.

Edit:
Okay at lunch I pulled corner 194/t10 bulbs, still had slight blinking on opposite side of where I had blinker on.

Pulled control box and made sure that 7 pin was disconnect and had no contact.

Nothing happened. Same problem. I'm going to buy two more resistors and see if that fixes the problem since I have one resistor per two turn signals on one side.

Last edited: