LED questions?

a-fuso

GMC Owner
Mar 28, 2012
CA
Ok so I have leds in all my lights now except turn signals and brake lights.
On an nbs, I know I can modify the flasher unit to work with leds, but will it still work if I put incandescent bulbs back in?
And my other question, what bulbs (3157) have people found that are the best and brightest for brake light use? I'm looking for stock function, or better than stock preferably. I've tried some cheap led bulbs, and the difference between low and high is no where near enough to keep from getting rear ended.
Thanks for any help

I see a lot of guys running switchbacks for the turn signals, but that is not cheap.

Most buy from vled and superbright, there is also a guy on ebay selling them that several members have used! Someone should chime in soon...

I just bought some switchbacs from china cheap I'm waiting on them to come, I just bought them this week. They were 8.50 a pair. I'm putting them on my dad's avy, you will need resistors to avoid hyper flashing. Vleds sells tem for like $40 a pair. I have always had success buying from ebay, but I guess its been luck.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Incandescent bulbs work perfect after modifying the flasher module...reverted to stock on my 01 silvy before I sold it and they were fine.

Incandescent bulbs work perfect after modifying the flasher module...reverted to stock on my 01 silvy before I sold it and they were fine.
Thanks, that's what I wanted to hear, because If I change my mind, or burn out a bulb and replace it with stock I don't want any annoying flashing problems.
And I was thinking of getting the ebay China switchbacks, because for 8.50 a pair it would be worth trying.
Bald86: when you get yours in can you give us a little review please?

No problem, I will have to wait for them to get here

waitwait....$8.50 switchbacks...yeah im interested in seeing the quality of these things, would be nice on my 01 as well. I need to figure out the flasher thing as well.

Cornell had a write up on the "other" site for the flasher mod in his build thread. He needs to post that in his thread here. :security:

**edit**

Gimme a sec and I'll find it, wasn't here it was elsewhere on da intanets.

**edit**

Here is the flasher.

DSC03241.jpg

Pull the cover off of it like so.

DSC03245.jpg

Pin #7 you need to clip the contact. Facing you, it's the on the top second from the left.

Image001copy.jpg

Last edited:
I got some china switchbacks in yesterday to see if I like them before I dropped cash for the decent ones. I don't know what a good one feels like but these things are super cheap feeling, but hey they work. I think I paid $6 for a pair. Not really liking the white flashing though. Probably gonna go with some Orange LEDS instead.

Could you post any pics or even a video for us? really interested in the differences between the china switchbacks for $6, and say v-leds ones for $60

I don't have my camera with me, but I took a few when putting in my new headlights.

Stock with normal orange 3157 on the left, new housing and switchbacks on the right.
Picture220.jpg

Picture221.jpg

Awesome glare.
Picture222.jpg

I stuck them in my DRL's too just for shits and giggles til I can do the DRL mod. They don't do anything lol

Everything seems to work fine though? Are they the type that are on white, and flash amber only? or do they alternate between white and amber flashing?
Do you have the link of which ones you bought too? thanks for the pics

First video with this camera, all you hear is me trying to breathe lol, Photobucket raped the quality too =/ I just finished the flasher module mod before I took this.

And the white LEDs match 5k HID pretty well, pic makes them look kinda blue.
Picture224.jpg

Last edited:
Those are the ones I was looking at ordering. they dont seem to bad, just designed to flash differently than like vleds switchbacks. But I'm decided now, gonna order a couple sets right now

Whats up? It there more to plugging them in the socket? lol I'm just thinking its cause they are cheap. Marker lights are still orange, if they flash at all (either hazard or turning) they flash white. I noticed they were different but didn't really think about it.

I actually like them being reversed from vleds style. But if it bothered you, you can just take the base off ans swap where the wires come out of which hole. mine aren't here yet but I'll try that when I get them

Mine aren't VLED... but the china man who assembled yours may have reversed the contacts.

That what I'm thinking, if that happens to me, I'm going to open them up and do surgery!! Either I fix them or brake them lol