Khaos' K10 Project - I did a thing

Khaos

Bed Dent Club Founder
Mar 24, 2012
Albany, NY
So, first thing's first. No, still no bumper plastics on the Sierra, so fuck off.

Great, now that we have that out of the way, onto the new hotness.

1986 K10
Rebuilt 350, mild cam, some Edlebrock carb, dual exhaust, 3 speed auto, probably a TH350, lifted a bit on 315s, stupid LED headlights that only 3/4 work, no highbeams, no dome light or dash lights, no license plate lights. You get the jist.

Needs a little bit to be road worthy and I'm hoping for some advice from some of the guys who have owned these before.

49702984012_d6072c32a7_b.jpg

49702983832_019641a203_b.jpg

Little idle video

So yeah, here it is.

Last edited:

Khaos

Bed Dent Club Founder
Mar 24, 2012
Albany, NY
First thing to address: Steering feels sloppy and all over the place. What should I be checking/looking for first?

Huck

BIIIIG SQRBDY GUY
Jan 27, 2011
Gainesville, Ga
Badass! I just picked up a square too. Steering is probably a combination of pitman/idler/tie rods/rag joint/steering box/frame flex.

Have someone move the wheel back and forth slightly while you look at the steering box/front frame horns. The steering box probably has a bunch of play, the rag joint probably needs to be rebuilt and the front frame horns are bad about flexing when you steer.

I’m planning on welding a section of tubing between the front frame rails on mine cuz I can watch my front crossmember twist. I’m also rebuilding the whole front end this weekend cuz it won’t hold alignment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Khaos

Khaos

Bed Dent Club Founder
Mar 24, 2012
Albany, NY
El essss swoop it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would be sweet to do a 6.0/80e or something like that but I like the idea of keeping it the way it is for now.

pitman arm, or most likely drag link play for the sloppy steering.

Is it a quadrajet carb or a standard style?

It's got an Edlebrock AVS2 carb on it. Don't know which model, I haven't looked that hard at it yet.

Badass! I just picked up a square too. Steering is probably a combination of pitman/idler/tie rods/rag joint/steering box/frame flex.

Have someone move the wheel back and forth slightly while you look at the steering box/front frame horns. The steering box probably has a bunch of play, the rag joint probably needs to be rebuilt and the front frame horns are bad about flexing when you steer.

I’m planning on welding a section of tubing between the front frame rails on mine cuz I can watch my front crossmember twist. I’m also rebuilding the whole front end this weekend cuz it won’t hold alignment.

I saw a square posted in the your vehicles thread but didn't realize you picked one up! That thing looks sweet, congrats man.

The previous owner has replaced the tie rod ends and ball joints so I'm guessing it's not those. I did some quick googlefu searching and read you can adjust the steering box to tighten it up or loosen it depending on what you need.

I gotta do that this weekend and have someone turn it so I can watch what's going on.

I expected nothing less just like you all should :cheeky:

Reactions: Huck and SamCarroll

Huck

BIIIIG SQRBDY GUY
Jan 27, 2011
Gainesville, Ga
If you do tighten the box (I’ll be doing mine this weekend too), don’t go far. It doesn’t take a lot and all it’s doing it pinching the gears together tighter, so it’s easy to fuck one up lol.

Later down the road, I want to upgrade to a quicker ratio box. The stock reman boxes are like $200 with the core charge, a 14:1 or 12:1 is like $200 more

Khaos

Bed Dent Club Founder
Mar 24, 2012
Albany, NY
Pitman arm looks good, but the rag joint has a lot of play so looks like I'll be ordering some more parts soon. After I get that on I'll tighten up the steering box a bit.

The interior is pretty bare, no carpet, headliner, radio, someone painted the door panels from maroon to black. So gotta figure out a radio, thinking one of the retro looking ones with aux/usb.

All the DMVs are closed here in NY so I still haven't registered it yet. Ideally I'd like to have it on the road soon and be able to enjoy it.

Reactions: Huck

Huck

BIIIIG SQRBDY GUY
Jan 27, 2011
Gainesville, Ga
Was talking to my dad, he worked in the dealer from like 78-82 and he said when you tighten up the box, only go like 1/8th of a turn. Any more and it’ll hurt the box.

I’ve got a retro sound in mine, not sure what brand but it sounds pretty good and I like the look. No Bluetooth but does have an AUX port so I at least have a cord

72a385b6d6f2f247b4a2d77e15e656a0.jpg

Oktain

Canuck Admin
Staff member
Feb 9, 2012
Sudbury, ON
I may have to jump on the square body band wagon soon enough. Wife wants a K10 with stuffed 35's, I think I need to oblige lol.

Also, I would like to point out that instead of putting plastics on the bumper of your truck, you bought a truck that doesn't require bumper plastics... touche good sir.

Reactions: DeanH1290 and Huck

Khaos

Bed Dent Club Founder
Mar 24, 2012
Albany, NY
Shit out while driving, had to get towed home by my dad. I haven't taken a look at it but the fuel filter was dry so I'm praying just a pump and filter and it'll be good.

Did new plugs, wires, cap, radiator, waterpump, tstat, and it seems to run a bit cooler. Still gets warm, around 215 220 sometimes. I hope nothing is cracked. But there's no oil in the coolant and no coolant in the oil, so idk if the previous owner overheated it and something is just warped or what.

Spending my time diagnosing the Sierra right now then I'll get on this.

Just some pics for the hell of it

94424e50a271a32056099a522a9e1547.jpg
42d7b8803f8c7a4bbb772beddab5183e.jpg

Reactions: Huck

Khaos

Bed Dent Club Founder
Mar 24, 2012
Albany, NY
Yeah the base timing is good, but we're gonna go over it once I get the Sierra sorted out.

Check the fuel pump, then check compression, timing, and go from there

Huck

BIIIIG SQRBDY GUY
Jan 27, 2011
Gainesville, Ga
Hopefully it’s just the fuel pump like you said. Mine did that one morning, went to warm it up, came back inside and heard it slowly die. Couldn’t get it cranked, checked the fuel line and it was dry at the carb. 7 parts stores later I finally found a small block fuel pump, the old one seized in the compressed position so it didn’t hurt the cam or the pump pushrod.

New pump, cranked 3 times and fired right off.