Iron removing wheel cleaner

cbrsilv15

Oct 31, 2013
Has anyone come across any Iron removing wheel cleaner over the counter, not anything online? Something comparable to Iron X, Sonax FE, Active Wheel Cleaner +, etc... Summit Racing by me carries Adam's so I think I might try out their deep wheel cleaner to avoid shipping costs. It wouldn't be an issue if I planned on spending $50+ to get free shipping with SCG, but I just wanna try a wheel cleaner that would eat away at the brake dust in all the crevices. Less than $20...

wretched73

Apr 18, 2012
I use griots garage wheel cleaner. They might sell it at advanced auto. I know advanced sells other griots products

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

cbrsilv15

Oct 31, 2013
Does it chemically react with the brake dust and iron to remove it? That's what I'm after.

Edit - It looks like advance has Griots Heavy Duty wheel cleaner that eats away and turns colors. $17.99 for a 22oz bottle. Not bad...

Use TRT30 promo code and it comes to $12.59 + tax... Will post some results later this week.

Last edited:

wretched73

Apr 18, 2012
Bingo. I'm very satisfied with it. Doesn't have the death smell like iron-x , at least not as extreme. And a little bit goes a long way

cbrsilv15

Oct 31, 2013
Cause I don't need $50 worth of stuff (to get free shipping) and I'm not paying $25 for a bottle of wheel cleaner.

DylanVK

Jun 5, 2012
Surf City Garage - Code Red Active Wheel Cleaner

Think of this as the more consumer/n00b friendly version of AWC+... it doesn't have the increased alkaline content so it won't cut thru petroleum based contamination at the same time, but it will dissolve metallic and brake dust very well. Uses the same active ingredient on the acid side that reacts with metals, which is the same active ingredient used in any product which turns red or purple when its in contact with brake dust. Reaction time of the cleaner will be slightly slower than AWC+ as well simply due to concentration levels of the ingredients.

I'd put this on par with similar wheel cleaners sold by boutique brands as their "Heavy Duty" wheel cleaning option.

Available at places like Walmart & Pepboys - use the locator to find out for sure: Surf City Garage - Where To Buy

Last edited:

cbrsilv15

Oct 31, 2013
Awesome!!! that's what I was looking for. I just got the Griot's today. Ill try it and then use the SCG one when this is out.

cbrsilv15

Oct 31, 2013
It smells kinda bad, but goes away after an hour or so. I sprayed it on and agitated with a tooth brush in the cracks of her spokes. Wheel was bright silver when I was done!!! It worked great!

Gonna detail it tomorrow and take my time with pics to follow.

TechieTruckGuy

3.5 EcoHell
Apr 10, 2013
Bakersfield , CA
Give the Dub Wheel Cleaner by Meguiars a try. I tried it recently on a set of very soiled GT-R wheels and cleaned them very well with the use of my Daytona speed master. I've tried several others and for the price you can't beat it. It's $9 for a 22oz bottle. Not as harsh smelling as Sonax Full Effect. I can upload some photos later.

Sent from my Stealth Lookin iPhone using Tapaturd

wretched73

Apr 18, 2012
It smells kinda bad, but goes away after an hour or so. I sprayed it on and agitated with a tooth brush in the cracks of her spokes. Wheel was bright silver when I was done!!! It worked great!

Gonna detail it tomorrow and take my time with pics to follow.

I follow up my wheel cleaner with a bit of simple green. I spray the whole wheel and wheel well down. I don't notice any smell after that.