Interior plastics paint prep tips?

Adjusted

Super Moderator
Feb 8, 2012
Tacoma, Washington
Im about to start gettin the 01's interior ready to get sprayed pretty soon here, and i figure if i do all of the prep work possible by myself Ill save a chunk of money. Ive prepped plastics before, but i basically just sat there with sandpaper and smoothed er' down - took forever.

How do you guys do speed up this process? I have an electric drill and was thinking about buying some sandpaper pads for that, but any other quick sanding tips?

Also, what is a good primer that I can buy OTC in a spray can, and is there a special/different process to prime the plastic other than - light coat - dry, light coat - dry, etc?

Thanks doods

I'd do it by hand man. Nothing beats the old fashioned way. I'd sure hate to get the speed up too fast and burn through something and have to replace the part, then sand again.

Not sure how most people do it but you can get a D/A (dual action) sander at harbor freight for like $20-30 and i would say like 1000 grit paper, I plan on doing this on my bumper plastics..just a suggestion as there may be better ways

Sent from my EVO 3D using Tapatalk

I'd do it by hand man. Nothing beats the old fashioned way. I'd sure hate to get the speed up too fast and burn through something and have to replace the part, then sand again.

My electric doesnt go that fast on speed one, on big parts with few details it shouldnt be a prob. But getting into small parts/spaces or creases imma have to find another way - possibly the old fashion way it looks like...

Not sure how most people do it but you can get a D/A (dual action) sander at harbor freight for like $20-30 and i would say like 1000 grit paper, I plan on doing this on my bumper plastics..just a suggestion as there may be better ways

link? i wouldnt think id need something that hardcore just for a few interior plastics, but id consider it for that price and if itd save a ton of time.

I think I saw it in their ad but ill see if i can find one..it seems like it would also be good to do bumper plastics

you wont want to use a drill. to small and will dig into the plastic. you can use a da sander but youll also want to do parts by hand. id start with a light 80 then 120 then 320. after all the texture is gone youll want to use BULLYDOG adhesion promoter on all plastics. 1 light coat is good. after you spray that check to see if you can see any cracks in the bullydog. if so, start over on that spot cuz your paints gonna crack as well. its contaiminated. Then, youll want to use a high build primer. a few light coats of that and check for any cracking. then 2 medium coats. sand with 4,5, and 600 wet sandpaper. then paint and clear. wet sand again with 1500 and then 2000. then buff and enjoy

yeah, figured i was gonna end up doin it by-hand - but thanks for the step-by-step. I wont be painting myself, though. Ill be sure to post results.

also youll want to let the primer flash. if your gonna have someone paint it for you, you might want to wait on the primer for them to do it. different brands of primer and paint could cause problems.

blitz pretyy much hit the nail on the head. however before you prime it, id recommend plastic cleaner then adhesion promotor. plastic cleaner opens up the pores in the plastic for the adhesion promotor. also, dont use rattle can primer. it doesnt have the build like urethane(out of a paint gun).it would have to be pretty smooth to be able to get by with rattle can. it doesnt have to be perfectly smooth for outta the gun since the primer will do some filling.

blitz pretyy much hit the nail on the head. however before you prime it, id recommend plastic cleaner then adhesion promotor. plastic cleaner opens up the pores in the plastic for the adhesion promotor. also, dont use rattle can primer. it doesnt have the build like urethane(out of a paint gun).it would have to be pretty smooth to be able to get by with rattle can. it doesnt have to be perfectly smooth for outta the gun since the primer will do some filling.

good lord, mebbe ill let the guy painting it do it all - hate prepping parts for paint and/or fuckin shit up, also i dont have a paint gun

im thinking about wrapping my interior in vinyle. mine dash is fully smooted and painted. you wouldnt be able to tell but its all spray paint

i wouldnt recommend to sand the plastics. its alot of unnecessary work. after you sand em, you'll get a bunch of "hairs" that you'll have to sand again and again. scuff really good, clean, apply adhesive promoter generously, prime, paint, clear. this is info from my buddy who owns a paint/collision repair shop. does plastics all the time, did mine too.

^ would not do it that way. the texture is to coarse for primer just to fill in. not to mention to much primer becomes britle(sp?). if you did it your way, youd need to scuff prime (3coats) sand, prime (3 coats), sand and paint. the hairs are fine, and if you sand with only 180, NO 80, then hairs should be minimal. when sanding the primer, the hairs will be gone. i do paint work and have done a few dash's.

only reason why i used 80 was because i did most of my dash by hand it was taking so damn long!!!!! so i stepped up to 80

I learned the hard way that its extra work if your going down to 80 grit for sanding. Especially when using a D-A sander. I did my tow mirrors recently and started out on all the flat areas with 120 on my D-A, didn't get any 'hairs'. Then hand sanded with 180. Three to four coats of a high build primer, sanded with 400 and was good for paint.