Inconsistent Steering Shake

DeanH1290

Jan 20, 2014
Georgetown KY
Like the title states, I have an inconsistent steering shake that I'm trying to iron out. Its not noticeable until 60+ and it just does it from time to time.

I first noticed it after installing my wheel spacers, so I took everything back off and carefully reinstalled/torqued everything down. No luck with that. Spacers are hub/lug centric.

Next I checked the wheel bearings by giving the front wheels tugs in various directions with them in the air. Everything was nice and firm, other than a slight amount of play in the steering up at the steering box area. When sitting on the ground, there is no play in the tie rods.

So where else should I look? The only thing I haven't done is rotate/rebalance the tires.

It was aligned with the spacers on, so I doubt that's what it is. I think I'm going to try rebalancing the tires first and go from there.

Noticed this the other night on mine, but I realized it's those stupid tar patches they put in cracks in the pavement :fp:

I had a wheel missing a weight, would only shake at a bout 65mph, and only 6/10 times. Pissed me off. Thought something was wrong with the truck but just needed a rebalance.

Meant to update, when I was stripping the wheels this weekend I noticed I was missing a weight on the front pass wheel, so that is most likely the issue.