Inconsistent Steering Shake

DeanH1290

Jan 20, 2014
Georgetown KY
Like the title states, I have an inconsistent steering shake that I'm trying to iron out. Its not noticeable until 60+ and it just does it from time to time.

I first noticed it after installing my wheel spacers, so I took everything back off and carefully reinstalled/torqued everything down. No luck with that. Spacers are hub/lug centric.

Next I checked the wheel bearings by giving the front wheels tugs in various directions with them in the air. Everything was nice and firm, other than a slight amount of play in the steering up at the steering box area. When sitting on the ground, there is no play in the tie rods.

So where else should I look? The only thing I haven't done is rotate/rebalance the tires.

Cleanoh4

Aug 27, 2013
NJ
Try the rotate/balance. Mine was doing something similar and that fixed it

DeanH1290

Jan 20, 2014
Georgetown KY
It was aligned with the spacers on, so I doubt that's what it is. I think I'm going to try rebalancing the tires first and go from there.

Oktain

Canuck Admin
Staff member
Feb 9, 2012
Sudbury, ON
Noticed this the other night on mine, but I realized it's those stupid tar patches they put in cracks in the pavement :fp:

I had a wheel missing a weight, would only shake at a bout 65mph, and only 6/10 times. Pissed me off. Thought something was wrong with the truck but just needed a rebalance.

DeanH1290

Jan 20, 2014
Georgetown KY
Meant to update, when I was stripping the wheels this weekend I noticed I was missing a weight on the front pass wheel, so that is most likely the issue.