Ideas for the rear of my truck

I did 3 on mine and it seemed to match the factory red just fine. Then one over all the red parts to make it uniform.. I also wish I sprayed a very light coat of black to darken mine up a bit.

The only problem I have with VHT is that it always fades. I used it on some taillights on my old Tahoe a few times and 4 or 5 coats each time. It will fade over time. Best thing to do is have a body shop do it with automotive red that's reduced Alot.

Sent from my One X using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
just clear coat it reall good and wetsand and polish will make it last a lot longer

Did that. It'll still fade over time. My cousin did the same with his following a good writeup. He sanded, several coats of VHT sanding in between, clear, real fine sanding and polishing compound, and the sun still faded it after a couple months

Sent from my One X using Tapatalk 2

That sucks, my tails haven't faded other than when a car burned up next to my truck at work :yarly: but the highmount is back to red and that bish was black

i bet body shop clear would hold up better

I agree. I had a guy down the street smoke the lights on my old Tahoe using body shop clear and such and I got in a wreck and then sold the Tahoe 2 years ago after having the lights smoked for 2 years and they still look great

Sent from my One X using Tapatalk 4

Getting a body shop to mix your desired colour with clear is definitely the best option. Especially if you're tinting over a clear lens since black VHT typically turns clear lenses blue.