Huck

BIIIIG SQRBDY GUY
Jan 27, 2011
Gainesville, Ga
Ok ok, I know I'm jumping the gun a little bit since I don't even have the truck yet :rofl: But I'm so freaking excited that I had to post.

Little back story of how this came about. Lisa is my second cousin and her husband (Frank) got this truck from the original owner's widow when he passed away around '90-92, for free. He was some kind of contractor or something (Can't remember, was told last summer at the reunion. I'll get the details again once I pick the truck up), and all Frank has done since then is have a local shop maintain it. He used to drive it often but he said he's probably only put 1000 miles on it in the last 5 years. He told me all this a year ago, and also said it was a 6cyl, 3 OT, longbed. I never did ask any more details, just said it was cool and I've always loved those trucks.

Fast forward some, we had to go to a funeral for my dad's aunt a couple weeks back. During the little family get together the night before the funeral, Lisa asked me if I'd be interested in a project vehicle. "Yeah, I might be, what is it?" She mentioned the truck and said Frank would probably give it to me for free since he got it free and just wants it to go to a good home. Sure enough he walked over and told me the same thing, he just wants to make sure it's cared for so he'd give it to me. Also said it's a longbed, again. I figured longbed, fleetside, base model. So I told him I'd love to take it and it'd definitely be at a good home. So he agreed to take some pictures and we'll get together on a date to come get it. It's 6hrs away in NC.

So I finally got the pics (he sent 118 pics!) last night and whaddya know, it's a shortbed stepside!! :pepper: So now I'm even more fired up. It's a little rough around the edges but overall it's very solid and will be a great platform to start on. It's a '70, 250ci 6cyl (we think from the pics), 3 on the tree, original wood bed truck. Base model but that's great cuz no trim to get rid of and holes to fill. Now I just have to figure out how I wanna go get it. Frank says it'll make the 405 miles home, dad wants us to just drive it back, but I wanna trailer it. Idk yet

wVmfAQt.jpg

mSC3OVJ.jpg

kTTvP9R.jpg

SRdNcQB.jpg

3p1n25C.jpg

IH7yFQg.jpg

ZvROq2Z.jpg

NjxDCs1.jpg

Doors look solid
ytTXbGd.jpg

aSERtHd.jpg

Driver's side cab corners/rockers seem solid
vsleKK4.jpg

Passenger side has had some work, hard to say how well it was repaired but for free I won't complain a bit. But if it's still got some rust it's not much
GJCsFN2.jpg

4fHFUrI.jpg

WDEWeW6.jpg

Original wood floor has steel over it now
nuytt5x.jpg

IQz5Ses.jpg

But the wood's still there. This is looking from underneath through the crossmembers
UiCb6iA.jpg

Left over from the contractor, wired right into the alternator :rofl: :wtf:
rEh0TkP.jpg

2 plugs on the ladder rack too
D5kLP2f.jpg

Brand new exhaust, newer shocks. Also has good tires on it (at least it appears, idk if dry rotted)
rpHWLEc.jpg

Check the vise lol
wDxs8Bs.jpg

3p1n25C.jpg

Huck

BIIIIG SQRBDY GUY
Jan 27, 2011
Gainesville, Ga
Forgot to add, the PO brush painted it. So first I'll see how well it'll polish up. But the initial plans are:

-Polish it up, maybe sand through some spots for more patina, then seal it real good
-Repaint bumpers, tailgate letters fresh white, probably paint the roof white too to break up the green
-Come up with some speed shop theme to put on the doors/fenders to make it look like an old school shop truck
-Get rid of full wheel covers, paint steelies white and get some small chrome or stainless center caps, flip tires around to black walls. Looked up wide whites but they're too much money, might find some white letters if it'll look cool. Long term will be 20" detroit steel wheels
-Get rid of PO's janky wiring, most likely get rid of the ladder rack (thought about leaving it and rocking it but I don't think I can stand it lol), idk about the vice yet
-Disc brake conversion, drop spindles/drop springs, sway bars, might convert everything to 5 lug while I'm at it
-Then start gathering parts for the LS/4L60E swap

Last edited:

Dakota

Dat Static 4wd
Mar 12, 2012
texarkana
Plans sound good. White roof for sure. Wide whites would be the tits though.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Tylers88

3 GM's and a Jeep
Apr 16, 2012
Clarion, IA
As much as I hate patina if you make it look like and old speed shop truck keep the rack and by drop it I hope you mean WAY drop it

Huck

BIIIIG SQRBDY GUY
Jan 27, 2011
Gainesville, Ga
Plans sound good. White roof for sure. Wide whites would be the tits though.

IMO on the roof. The more I think about it, I'm definitely doing that. We'll see how I like it with the 15" steelies white. If I like it alot, it'll definitely ride better and be cheaper than 20s so I'll probably get some better looking 15s and wide whites and rock it till I do big brakes. Now, question is, should I:
-Spray the white with no clear and let it weather
-Spray the white with clear and make it shiney
-Brush paint it to match the rest??

As much as I hate patina if you make it look like and old speed shop truck keep the rack and by drop it I hope you mean WAY drop it
:shake: I'm not ever slamming it, don't care to lay rocker, but it'll be low. I'll make a long term list a little later tonight, it's gonna get Porter Built stuff eventually

Huck

BIIIIG SQRBDY GUY
Jan 27, 2011
Gainesville, Ga
:shake: That's what I was leaning toward. Think I've decided on No Limit Engineering's drop stuff and R&P kit, it'll make the truck handle well and look good too. I won't be able to realistically blast the truck apart for PB stuff till I get my own place so this will do for now. And LS swap obviously. Found some info and several guys have done the swap for <$3k so that's not bad at all.

Found this guy's build over on 67-72chevytrucks.com, this is kinda the direction I'm gonna go with it for now. First pic is similar stance to how the NoLimit stuff will make it sit but the second pic has the cool company logo on it. Combine the 2 and that's what I'm going for
zxFfyst.jpg

Dzd9CxW.jpg

Last edited:

a-fuso

GMC Owner
Mar 28, 2012
CA
Forgot to add, the PO brush painted it. So first I'll see how well it'll polish up. But the initial plans are:

-Polish it up, maybe sand through some spots for more patina, then seal it real good
-Repaint bumpers, tailgate letters fresh white, probably paint the roof white too to break up the green
-Come up with some speed shop theme to put on the doors/fenders to make it look like an old school shop truck
-Get rid of full wheel covers, paint steelies white and get some small chrome or stainless center caps, flip tires around to black walls. Looked up wide whites but they're too much money, might find some white letters if it'll look cool. Long term will be 20" detroit steel wheels
-Get rid of PO's janky wiring, most likely get rid of the ladder rack (thought about leaving it and rocking it but I don't think I can stand it lol), idk about the vice yet
-Disc brake conversion, drop spindles/drop springs, sway bars, might convert everything to 5 lug while I'm at it
-Then start gathering parts for the LS/4L60E swap

Here's my opinion,
-I would add letering to the doors, but keep it a contractor theme, remember the back story on the truck is the most important part about how it got to be this way
-All fresh white paint will look great, wheels, roof, bumpers front and rear. Do a semi gloss white
-I would try to polish the paint, if it doesn't work don't sand anything unless you plan on repainting the entire truck. Fake patina's look bad imo because you can tell sanded paint from naturally worn/faded paint
-I would leave it 6 lug because you have more wheel options I think, but if drop parts come with 5 lug stuff it can be done too
-Just don't try to do too much with it if you want to have a patina'd truck, they look the best left just how they were and just maintained

Huck

BIIIIG SQRBDY GUY
Jan 27, 2011
Gainesville, Ga
Oh man what I'd do to have that as a project truck! Plans sound really good man
:shake: Thanks man! I can't wait to get it back here

I'm just here to stir the excitement pot

:cheeky:
Lol :hng: :shake:

Nothing to see here. Move along. :troll:
Send me PB stuff kthxbye :cheeky:

Here's my opinion,
-I would add letering to the doors, but keep it a contractor theme, remember the back story on the truck is the most important part about how it got to be this way
-All fresh white paint will look great, wheels, roof, bumpers front and rear. Do a semi gloss white
-I would try to polish the paint, if it doesn't work don't sand anything unless you plan on repainting the entire truck. Fake patina's look bad imo because you can tell sanded paint from naturally worn/faded paint
-I would leave it 6 lug because you have more wheel options I think, but if drop parts come with 5 lug stuff it can be done too
-Just don't try to do too much with it if you want to have a patina'd truck, they look the best left just how they were and just maintained

:shake: Thanks for the suggestions man.
-Good point on the lettering, even if I don't leave the ladder rack that'd still keep with the backstory.
-I like the semi-gloss white idea, I've been trying to picture new white in my head and gloss just didn't seem to jive well.
-I see what you're saying about fake patina, I think I will just try to polish it and see what happens. It's pretty nicely worn anyways
-Did not know there were more 6 lug wheel options for dropped trucks, big thank you there cuz I just assumed and had planned on the 5 lug drop spindles/axles
-True on doing too much. Eventually, it'll get full bodywork and paint and be really nice. But that's last on the list so it'll be patina for a while

Keep the pointers and ideas coming guys, I'm a total noob to the dropped scene so I've got alot to learn lol

Last edited:

J_Corr

Mar 27, 2012
Jealous of truck. I would leave everything as is and bag it, find out if the original owner had a company name, spay that on doors and done.