Huck’s 2005 Silverado

Tylers88

3 GM's and a Jeep
Apr 16, 2012
Clarion, IA
Yep. Which I’m actually ok with. The c10 kinda has a certain charm to it the way it is, takes you back in time so I’m actually not too upset about stealing it’s motor. I’ll just push that project back a year or so and use the motor from the white truck but use some aftermarket heads and go through the whole thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
As awesome as efi and LS engines are whenever I actually get something old I’m going to leave a carbed small block in it just for that reason

Reactions: Huck

Huck

BIIIIG SQRBDY GUY
Jan 27, 2011
Gainesville, Ga
So now the question is....do I get the heads milled for 11:1 compression or stick with the factory 9.9:1?

Reactions: sharris223

Huck

BIIIIG SQRBDY GUY
Jan 27, 2011
Gainesville, Ga
Forced induction in the future....? Hmm..

Nope, this is my DD. But with 10:1, a cam and tune, was gonna be running 93 anyway, so thinking the bump can’t hurt anything. It gets 12-14mpg as is, doubt the compression will hurt that and add power

dszx13

May 28, 2014
minden, la
Nope, this is my DD. But with 10:1, a cam and tune, was gonna be running 93 anyway, so thinking the bump can’t hurt anything. It gets 12-14mpg as is, doubt the compression will hurt that and add power

I believe mine is 11.1. Don’t remember. This on the current tank. Doing more highway driving this week
d2398a68a986f49148c10338dfeb17c7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Huck and sharris223

Huck

BIIIIG SQRBDY GUY
Jan 27, 2011
Gainesville, Ga
I believe mine is 11.1. Don’t remember. This on the current tank. Doing more highway driving this week
d2398a68a986f49148c10338dfeb17c7.jpg

Yeah I mean compression helps with efficiency as much as power, so 1 point should only help. What heads are you running? I know 317s would have to be milked a ton to get to 11:1

dszx13

May 28, 2014
minden, la
Yeah I mean compression helps with efficiency as much as power, so 1 point should only help. What heads are you running? I know 317s would have to be milked a ton to get to 11:1

317s. .030

Huck

BIIIIG SQRBDY GUY
Jan 27, 2011
Gainesville, Ga
317s. .030

Is yours an LQ9? I think the guys I was ready that had to mill them a lot were using dished pistons, so the heads had to be milled like .050 or .055 to get 11:1.

I’ve been researching most of the day in between work and there’s so much info and so many opinions, I’m going cross eyed lol. I think .020 would get me 10.5:1 and .030 would get me 11:1 with my flat tops. Gonna keep researching and talk to a couple machine shops though. Then I’ll have to figure out which head gasket and pushrod length. I’ve got LS9 headgaskets already, so I’m hoping I can use those

dszx13

May 28, 2014
minden, la
Is yours an LQ9? I think the guys I was ready that had to mill them a lot were using dished pistons, so the heads had to be milled like .050 or .055 to get 11:1.

I’ve been researching most of the day in between work and there’s so much info and so many opinions, I’m going cross eyed lol. I think .020 would get me 10.5:1 and .030 would get me 11:1 with my flat tops. Gonna keep researching and talk to a couple machine shops though. Then I’ll have to figure out which head gasket and pushrod length. I’ve got LS9 headgaskets already, so I’m hoping I can use those

Lq4. Has flat top pistons now. I really don’t know how to figure out all that. Lol. The builder said it was 11.1 all I’ve done to it is replace head gaskets and put arp head bolts in

Huck

BIIIIG SQRBDY GUY
Jan 27, 2011
Gainesville, Ga
Lq4. Has flat top pistons now. I really don’t know how to figure out all that. Lol. The builder said it was 11.1 all I’ve done to it is replace head gaskets and put arp head bolts in

Lol yeah it’s a ton of math that makes my head hurt. I do want to learn and understand it though. Pretty sure I’ve got an engine building boom at home, need to study up. Waiting to hear back from one of the local machine shops, gonna get his opinion on my combo.

Oktain

Canuck Admin
Staff member
Feb 9, 2012
Sudbury, ON
Do you guys have emissions testing in Jawja? If not, rip out the cats, do long tubes, and a good tune with everything else you're planning and you'll see one hell of an increase. Headers and my tune on my current truck was worth EVERY penny.

Huck

BIIIIG SQRBDY GUY
Jan 27, 2011
Gainesville, Ga
Do you guys have emissions testing in Jawja? If not, rip out the cats, do long tubes, and a good tune with everything else you're planning and you'll see one hell of an increase. Headers and my tune on my current truck was worth EVERY penny.

We do in 13 of the 158 counties and I’m in one of them lol. But it’s just a sniffer, no visual. I’ve had several vehicles with LTs and no cats, as long as it’s tuned properly it’ll pass. If I could find a set of LTs that fit a 4wd properly, I would but I’m a little gun shy after the fiasco with my red truck. The drivers side collector sat right where the front driveshaft needed to be

Huck

BIIIIG SQRBDY GUY
Jan 27, 2011
Gainesville, Ga
I know Speed Engineering fit MY truck perfectly, maybe they have the NBS dialled in too?

I’ll look around and see. Would love to put headers on while I’m at it. I think I’ve pretty well decided against milling the heads, not really worth it in a big heavy truck. I’ll pull the heads and get them inspected/cleaned up and new guides and seats installed. That way I don’t have to worry about different pushrods and PTV issues

dszx13

May 28, 2014
minden, la
Speed engineering 1-7/8fit perfect. The off road y pipe is a bit close to the trans crossmember though

sharris223

Mar 3, 2019
I’ll look around and see. Would love to put headers on while I’m at it. I think I’ve pretty well decided against milling the heads, not really worth it in a big heavy truck. I’ll pull the heads and get them inspected/cleaned up and new guides and seats installed. That way I don’t have to worry about different pushrods and PTV issues

I have ARH headers on my ‘03 4wd NBS. Fit perfectly. (A bit spendy, but they’re nice.!)

Huck

BIIIIG SQRBDY GUY
Jan 27, 2011
Gainesville, Ga
Speed engineering 1-7/8fit perfect. The off road y pipe is a bit close to the trans crossmember though

Found a couple videos of guys putting them on Z71s, thought the same. That’s no big deal though, I’ll wrap that area just for good measure. A buddy of mine has a set that he said he’d let go cheap, so I’m going speed engineering

sharris223

Mar 3, 2019
Found a couple videos of guys putting them on Z71s, thought the same. That’s no big deal though, I’ll wrap that area just for good measure. A buddy of mine has a set that he said he’d let go cheap, so I’m going speed engineering

I know a guy who used speed engineering headers on his 2004 Tahoe 4x4, and they ran into his front driveshaft. Hope that wouldn’t be the situation with you, just a heads up.

Huck

BIIIIG SQRBDY GUY
Jan 27, 2011
Gainesville, Ga
I’ve got my fingers crossed. I wasn’t gonna mess with headers because every set I’ve ever put on has had issues, LPP, whatever I had on my red truck, pacesetters, all of them. But supposedly speed engineering has clocked the drivers side far enough to clear. For the price I’m getting these, it’s worth a shot