How to: Clean a Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF Sensor)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottyBoy

The LED Man
Apr 6, 2012
I decided to clean my MAF sensor. Here is the basic rundown on how to do this quick and simple task on your own truck. It took me about fifteen mintes total. My truck is a 2001 Suburban, but most trucks should be similar. The cleaning process is the same.
First, get a can of CRC Mass Air Flow sensor cleaner from your local parts store, or wherever else you can find it. I found some at my local O'Reillys auto parts store for about 7 bucks a can. Pep Boys also has it. Advance and Autozone stores near me do not carry it. I didn't check anywhere else.

0905gmhtp_04_z+crc+mass_air_flow_sensor_cleaner.jpg

Now you need to remove your MAF sensor from the truck. It will be mounted in the air intake tube next to or near your air filter box.
DSC02347.jpg

It will most likely be held on with some type of clamps. Mine has two stainless worm gear screw clamps. Just undo the clamps, unplug the wiring harness, and you should then be able to remove it.
DSC02348.jpg

Here is how dirty mine was.
DSC02349.jpg

DSC02350.jpg

Now simply just spray the sensor off with the cleaner. Be careful to not touch any of the metal bands or wires that span across the inside. I cleaned off the mesh with a back and forth sweeping motion. Here, this pic shows it halfway cleaned.
DSC02352.jpg

Once you get it all sprayed off and clean, let it dry off. Do NOT put it back on the truck till it is dry. Here is mine all cleaned up now.
DSC02353.jpg

Looks good as new! :thumbsup:
DSC02354.jpg

No just go install it back in your truck. Installation is reverse of the removal process. Just make sure you do NOT forget to plug the wiring harness back onto it. Get your clamps all tightened up and you are done! :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.