Important!: How to: 99-02 double din the right way

Tukn4s

Jan 24, 2011
First off I want to say that there are a multiple ways to do this but this is the least rigged way to do it.

Tools/parts needed:
Double din of course
03+radio bucket and dash bezel
03-07c dash kit
99-02 harness
9/32 socket and 1/4" drive ratchet
Phillips screwdriver
Cutting tool, I used a body saw but a dremel could be used as well
Three dash screws (can be bought at lowes in the automotive section)
Two 1.25" #10 screws
One 3/4"x3/4"x1.5" long spacer.
One 5/8"x5/8"x1.5" long spacer
I used key stock but wood is fine too.

Step 1: removal (the easy part)
Remove the dash bezel, radio, and hvac controls.
Remove the radio bucket, it has 4 hex head screws and 2 rivets.

Step 2: 03+ bucket install
You need to trim 2 areas do the bucket to fit.
The first spot is for the bucket to bolt in. You have to cut the bottom left bolt hole off. Then also cut the back part where the top rivet was.
Should look like this
qu6u4a8y.jpg
e5yvygy8.jpg

Step 3: HVAC install
The dash structure have a small section under the hvac controller that needs to be ground down so the hvac will sit right.
ugedama8.jpg

After that you will need to make 2 spacers. I did one 3/4"x3/4"x1.5" and one 5/8"x5/8"x1.5" with a 1/4" hole drilled in the center.
the 3/4" goes on the passenger side mount. the 5/8" goes on the driver side mount
You also need to grind the old prongs off the hvac mount so you can mount it like so
usu4ugep.jpg

Step 4: double din install
Installing the double din is just like any other 03-07c install now. Only thing that may come up is the brace behind deck may need to be modified because some double dins are deeper than others.
Here is mine
4e9u9e2a.jpg

After that you have this.
deny3yne.jpg

I don't have my bezel ready to go in or I would have a picture of it installed too. There is some small trimming that needs to te hvac opening on the bezel because the 99-02 controls are slightly wider than the 03-07c. Once I have my bezel ready I will have that picture.

I hope this helps a lot of people because the how tos already out there, I read, suck ass.

Last edited:

Kase

Apr 8, 2012
Awesome lol this is pretty dang cool. I'd really like to do this to mine.

Tukn4s

Jan 24, 2011
Modifying the bezel for the slight curvature the face of the 99-02 hvac controls is the easiest and least gappy way to do it.
e5upure7.jpg

Then make 2 small notches for the humps in the side
zu3a4uga.jpg

yve9yva5.jpg

This isn't done but there will be no gap from the side or top and you don't have to grind/sand/cut on the hvac controls
This is mine that's pretty close to done clearing of the hva controls
evasyza4.jpg

Tukn4s

Jan 24, 2011
Last test fit before finishing the bezel for paint
za6uhyje.jpg

Moving the dd to the right 1/8" before reinstalling too

Tukn4s

Jan 24, 2011
All the dash bezel stuff is by choice. You don't have to do anything to the bezel.

It's not about wanting the radio, it's about getting the extra details to separate my truck from all the other out there. Since I'm not doing any other the top paint scheme. The littlest details make a big difference

bagged00

Mar 21, 2012
if anything youll probably convince some jack ass at a show he wants a double din. and when he goes to put it into his 99 02 gmfs, he wont understand why it it doesnt fit lol

blackpala96

Jun 22, 2013
Rock Falls, IL
Im using the same Kenwood deck and all of the correct bezel/HVAC/brace modifications.... but I have an issue. When I mount the deck up, the wire loom for the power and speaker wires makes it so the deck sits funny. It is angled down quite alot and looks off. Is there a way to orient the wiring harness to be able to make the deck sit level?

slicksierra

Feel some type of way
Mar 8, 2012
Central Jersey
Since I wasnt the first to bump this thread :cheeky: are you using a 03+ HVAC or 99-02? Cant tell from the pics. Some have the 99-02 others have something else

Khaos

Bed Dent Club Founder
Mar 24, 2012
Albany, NY
From how he worded it, it sounds like 99-02. And iirc, I remember him posting about that HVAC control being out of a 99-02 esky or something like that.

Tukn4s

Jan 24, 2011
Since I wasnt the first to bump this thread :cheeky: are you using a 03+ HVAC or 99-02? Cant tell from the pics. Some have the 99-02 others have something else

You can't use an 03+ HVAC control. It's not compatable with the wiring on the 99-02 trucks. Mine is a 99-02 control but my faceplate was worn and ugly. In order to get the escalade knobs, I had to buy the whole 02 escalade HVAC control. so I just swapped the faceplates since it looked better.

Tukn4s

Jan 24, 2011
Im using the same Kenwood deck and all of the correct bezel/HVAC/brace modifications.... but I have an issue. When I mount the deck up, the wire loom for the power and speaker wires makes it so the deck sits funny. It is angled down quite alot and looks off. Is there a way to orient the wiring harness to be able to make the deck sit level?

You probably just need to trim some more of the bucket and dash brace.

BOO5TED

Resident Smartass
Jan 7, 2011
ATL
I had to hack the shit out of the 03+ bucket I had in my Silvy for my Kenwood unit to fit. So many damn wires and RCAs bunched up behind it.

Gannon

That Guy
Jun 10, 2012
Logansport, Louisiana
I had to hack the shit out of the 03+ bucket I had in my Silvy for my Kenwood unit to fit. So many damn wires and RCAs bunched up behind it.

This. I should have taken that metal brace out but I was scared my dash might start sagging or something. Mine pushes the plastic bracket out just a tad bit but not that noticeable if you don't know it. Mines a kenwood also