How much bore is too much bore?

Jose.

Loves tacos
Mar 11, 2012
Runaway Bay (N.TX)
What's the max you can safely bore out a 350? I'm going to look at an 85 c10 bored 80 over. Should I be worried about it over heating easily?

I'm not sure what is considered "truly too far", but just me personally I would never even consider that block. That's an insane overbore. .060 over is the biggest I've ever seen on a small block

Iirc 0.060" makes it basically a throw away block, I have heard rumors of some dirt and drag guys going 0.120" in 283s back in the day

I don't plan on driving far or hard on it just want it as a nice weekend cruiser. Don't want to have any serious issues with it either though. Guy says he has only put 1000 miles on it since rebuild and most miles were in town

Why not just pull the heads and see what you're working with now. Lower end may be good just throw some vortec heads, mild cam 550-650ish carb on it and call it done

Even for a cruiser I'd seriously be worried about 80 over. There will be cooling issues with so much cylinder heat being so close to the water passages but cylinder wall stability will be seriously compromised at that point as well. No matter what you intend, at some point you'll romp on it and it could go boom. Honestly, I'd pass and wait for something with a stock motor or something bored/worked alot less.