HID question

So one of my 8000k HID slim digital ballasts took a shit today, so I replaced it with one of the slim non digital ballasts from my 5000K kit, and that HID burns VERY white. Both are 35w ballasts. is it possible the other ballast is weak to so it's not putting out as much charge? not looking forward to replacing my set right now and having one blue and one white headlight is bugging the fawk outta me. Is the bulb in control of what color temp it burns at or is it the ballast?

Last edited:
bad, not good. I have glare caps, doesnt glare nearly as bad as some peoples. But no, I always thought projectors looked like shit on 03-07c silverados. Id go back to stock but im somewhat color blind and the yellowish color makes it shit to see at night especially when its raining

he's talking about gaytezza projectors or something of that caliber. when we say get projectors, we mean either get denali lights or retrofit aftermarket projector housings

He has a Chevy.. So no Denalis, and from what I've seen even retro fit cat eyes don't look that good either. Stock housings are fine as long as it's 35w and aimed properly. As for op, just swap ballasts back to non digital till you can get a new 8k one imo

Sent from my Galaxy S-Fawhore

So one of my 8000k HID slim digital ballasts took a shit today, so I replaced it with one of the slim non digital ballasts from my 5000K kit, and that HID burns VERY white. Both are 35w ballasts. is it possible the other ballast is weak to so it's not putting out as much charge? not looking forward to replacing my set right now and having one blue and one white headlight is bugging the fawk outta me. Is the bulb in control of what color temp it burns at or is it the ballast?

Some cheap ballasts that are labeled 35w have been tested to put out less wattage than that. Boo5ted experienced that with his DDM ballasts. There was a color change with the same bulbs going from slim to standard ballasts iirc

Sent from Buck Tooth Betty

you're joking right. I had a huge difference in light output compared to stock halogens. night and day difference

Its plain stupid to put HIDs in stock halogen housings. There is no benefit.

Probably the second dumbest comment you've made right behind not liking deer meat.

In my 2000 silvy and my 2012 crew, hids made a world of difference in a halogen housing.

But then again, my silvy was super low and didn't hurt many, and I always drive around with my fogs on at night in my dodge.