Apr 8, 2012
Oklahoma City
I have the Morimoto kit from the retro fit source. Okay about two days ago my driver side hid started flickering even while the truck is off any ideas what I connect wrong ? Any help would appreciated

Huck

BIIIIG SQRBDY GUY
Jan 27, 2011
Gainesville, Ga
Hmmm. Since you're running the relay harness, I'd guess a ballast going bad. They're just like anything else, every once in a while you get a bad one. I'd swap them and see if the passenger side does it. If the drivers side still does it, then it might be the bulb.

It could also just be the nature of the beast, had a buddy with a '00 Silvy and his drivers side flickered from time to time and quite often wouldn't fire initially (would have to flash high beams to turn it on). Never was the ballast's fault, was just the nature of the truck.

Jared

Administrator
Feb 8, 2012
North Dallas
should have bought s p e n c e r s hids :troll:

but seriously, swapping the ballast is the best way to narrow it down.

Oktain

Canuck Admin
Staff member
Feb 9, 2012
Sudbury, ON
Which relay harness do you have?

The morimoto relay has 2 grounds. I grounded one at that fender support over the battery, the other is grounded on one of the bolts under the airbox (no airbox mod so it's easy to get to.)

Make sure you clean the surfaces you're grounded to.

IF you only have one ground, for whatever reason when I had my cheap ass POS DDM relay harness (oh, fuck DDM BTW) my passenger side headlight was always the one that would fuck up on me. Example - When I'd fire the truck up and the AHL's would kick the lights on at the same time, the pass side would flicker and go out EVERY TIME.

I had some flickering issues and I cleaned all the contacts on the harness, fuse, relay, ground, and hit them with a di-electric grease. Problem solved.

What you're describing is a typical starvation issue though. If the ballast hasn't gone out yet, it will since this is super hard on ballasts, and the reason I park with the parking brake on to keep the auto headlight system from firing my HID's while I'm starting the truck.

Make sure everything is making a good solid connection and you should be fine!

Oktain

Canuck Admin
Staff member
Feb 9, 2012
Sudbury, ON
Both sides? Still sounds like either a bad ground or even a faulty relay.

Where did you connect your positive terminal?

Oktain

Canuck Admin
Staff member
Feb 9, 2012
Sudbury, ON
Okay, since it's a dual relay setup, try switching the relays places and see if the trouble follows. If not, that rules out the relays.

Oktain

Canuck Admin
Staff member
Feb 9, 2012
Sudbury, ON
THis is your relay harness:

Morimoto%209006%20Relay%20Wire%20Harness%20-2l.jpg

Those two clear cubes with the solenoids in them are relays. Pull them out, swap them places and see if the trouble follows the relay... aka your pass light is flickering. If you switch relays and your pass side is still flickering then it's not the relay that's the problem. IF the OTHER side starts flickering, then it's the relay that's the issue. Solution: New relays from TRS

IF the issues persists, aka the same light still flickers - start trouble shooting connections. Pull your grounds apart, sand some paint off lightly and hit it liberally with dielectric grease or No-Ox and reassemble.