Helper bag (helpers) discussion thread

Any point in running 2 guages? Maybe 1 for the tank and 1 for the bags?

Multiple tanks or for front/rear bags. You could run a single guage with two needles if all you were doing is a helper setup. One needle for the bags psi and one for the tank.

Jvoisel needs to post in here. I will text him, seeing as how he done his, and peytons setup using the nnbs shifter with the +/- for air in helpers. I dont want all that jazz on my truck, so ran my mcgaughys helpers which bolts into notch, and ran a schrader valve to the gas tank. I dont plan on going any lower, and dont want to invest in all of the compressors and tanks. Joey had his under bed, and in bed as well. Took a little work, but looks top notch. He also runs the dual gauge as well in the overhead console, it's clean. And if I ever did go that route, I would do the same thing.

First off mcgs has the best helper setup
The kit actually uses firestone bags like you would use if you bagged your truck
I have airlift,you wont get the lift or ride quite as much
Mcg notch-mcg helper
Airlift-beltech notch
Djm/underbed/custom notch you will have to weld the upper bracket on
I have dual viair 275cs on 3 gallons
Perfect size,extremly fast fill/recovery
Jvoisel has 1 5 gallon and 1 viair 480,his fill rate isnt impressive
My gauge pod is flush mounted over head and kind of hard to read but you get used to it
Joeys are turned to you @45 degrees and its nice,but his pod and gauges were 150+ bux
I keep around 160 psi in mine

Anyone of these compressor/tank setups good enough to air up flat tire or something like that? I wouldn't mind having one that doubled as an onboard air setup.

Peyton...do you actually have hand on experience with belltech-airlift?

Because that shit comes nowhere close to mounting up. I just installed this same setup on a nbs cc and it aint even close. The holes between the bolts on the belltech notch are far to spaced apart for the air lift bracket to bolt on. This setup must be welded.

Jared, as far as Onboard air, its hard to go wrong with the Airlift Setups. I have run both the airlift Wireless One(in my nbs) and the Wireless Air in my dads and buddies f350. Both work great, tho the Wireless Air setup has a convential style Compressor, while the wireless one is a all-in-one unit.
Wireless one
t300_x1_5b963a7c6a8c977c46adf4cd56679cd5.jpg

Wireless Air
t300_x1_3332e48550ec4ccd0a5a35f1918b6379.jpg

Id spend a little more and get the wireless Air kit, simply because I can gaurantee the compressor is probably higher quality. The only reason I went with the Wireless One kit is to simply try the different kit this time.

Both remotes work great, and have at least 2 pre settings for pis levels.

Personally, a setupWith a big tank, compressor, dump vlaves etc seems a bit overkill for helper bags. The air lift kits solenoids included to allow transfer of air in and out of the airlines. If you were running train horns, and bags I cna see the point of a tank...but besides that it seems a bit much

Last edited:
I called airlift before i bought mine and they told me they fit beltechs notch
Sterling-bluebommer has airlift/beltech
I have djm i welded my shit
20120620_160520.jpg

20120620_160455.jpg

Last edited:
Peyton...do you actually have hand on experience with belltech-airlift?

Because that shit comes nowhere close to mounting up. I just installed this same setup on a nbs cc and it aint even close. The holes between the bolts on the belltech notch are far to spaced apart for the air lift bracket to bolt on. This setup must be welded.

Jared, as far as Onboard air, its hard to go wrong with the Airlift Setups. I have run both the airlift Wireless One(in my nbs) and the Wireless Air in my dads and buddies f350. Both work great, tho the Wireless Air setup has a convential style Compressor, while the wireless one is a all-in-one unit.
Wireless one
t300_x1_5b963a7c6a8c977c46adf4cd56679cd5.jpg

Wireless Air
t300_x1_3332e48550ec4ccd0a5a35f1918b6379.jpg

Id spend a little more and get the wireless Air kit, simply because I can gaurantee the compressor is probably higher quality. The only reason I went with the Wireless One kit is to simply try the different kit this time.

Both remotes work great, and have at least 2 pre settings for pis levels.

Personally, a setupWith a big tank, compressor, dump vlaves etc seems a bit overkill for helper bags. The air lift kits solenoids included to allow transfer of air in and out of the airlines. If you were running train horns, and bags I cna see the point of a tank...but besides that it seems a bit much

what is REAL WORLD price on both, not MSRP?

335 wireless one
488 Wureless air my cost....but thats Canadian dollarhairs, so im sure USD retail is around that. They come with absolutely everything down to the batteries in the remotes

b03a04bf.jpg

belltech and Air Lift

Doesn't matter behind or infront of axle it wont work. If you go behind the axle, the clamp that goes over the bag bracket and leaf spring cant be installed because it interferes with the Overload spring. If you move the bracket right close to the axle, The bag brackets sits half in the notch. There is not happy medium

So move it infront of the axle, and this is your result. You could technically drill through the frame on both sides, however the rearmost bolts would interfer with the Back of the belltech notch, and on the driver side you would have to remove tank for install, then offset tank back in so the bolt ends and nuts dont rub through the tank.

Last edited:
The AirLift stuff is great for just helpers but if you want to run train horns/fill tires/etc I'd go with a regular tank and compressor. Peyton's setup is quick as hell, my 480c on 5 gal is slow IMO but gets the job done. The MCG helper setup is the way to go imo, it's simply bolt on(with McG notch) and gets almost 7" of lift @ 100 psi. SoCal Diesel overhead gauge pod is nice but $135, when the avs one is like $20. I went with 3/8" valves over the 1/4" I had before and it's way faster, all DOT PushToConnect fittings because it's a pain in the ass when something constantly leaks down. Not sure on the prices of AirLift stuff but it's not cheap to do a full setup you can control in cab. I've got a bit into mine

Tank/Compressor $300
Gauges and Pod $175
2 - 3/8 Valves + all DOT PTC fittings $200
Esky shifter $100
Misc fittings, pressure switch, water trap, air line, etc $150
McG Helpers $300

Easily over $1000 when you can just buy the helpers for $300 and run a schrader valve.

Jared (or anyone else for that matter), If you're planning to bag in the future some of this stuff can/will be used. IMO go ahead and get the tank, comps, relay, and press switch you want to ultimately use for your air ride setup. I've got leftover spare 3/8 valves, airline, and a double needle KP gauge that I'll sell cheap. This will make your helper setup really damn nice, and help spread out costs for bagging.

Details on close cost estimates without tax/ship on the best stuff for an air-ride setup IMO:

Viair 444c Dual Pack - $325
Stinger 80a Relay - $25
8gal tank - $100
Pressure sensor - $25
Circut breaker - $50
PTC fittings - $100
Misc (wiring, switch, etc.) - $75
Fabricated bracket for comps and tank - $200(dunno?)
Esky Shifter - $100

$1000 plus the cost of helpers, and I'll talk to ya later about cost of the loom/airline, gauge, and 2 valves I have. Youll be on your way to a nice air management setup, youll have less upfront cost once you decide to bag, and youll have a hella nice helper setup for the time being. This could be done in steps; install helpers first without onboard control, then down the road buy everything listed above and add it to the helpers, then buy the rest of the parts needed for air-ride when you are ready to go all out. Thats how I would do it if I were planning on going with air-ride in the future.