Help! "Oil pressure low, shut off engine immediately"

Your oil pressure is low. Check the oil level or maybe the pump is going bad.

check the oil level. if its good, then put a mechanical guage on it to confirm that your actually low on pressure and that its not a bad sensor.

if its good on oil and pressure then change the sensor,

if its good on oil, but not on pressure change the oil pump.

if its low on oil, add oil dumbass

My moms 08 impala has that warning come on if you're going over 85. As soon as the speedo passes 85 it comes on. It's retarded.

Oil level is good and oil pressure never drops. So she goes 84 and has no problems lol

check the oil level.

if its low on oil, add oil dumbass

Usually I'd get the "oil level low" warning [but didn't this time], went right to the shut me off before I blow a gasket warning... But of course, oil level will be the first thing I check when I get home, just was rushing out the door this morning to 4 inches of snow and sub 20 degree weather, didn't feel like opening the hood... LOL.

Usually I'd get the "oil level low" warning [but didn't this time], went right to the shut me off before I blow a gasket warning... But of course, oil level will be the first thing I check when I get home, just was rushing out the door this morning to 4 inches of snow and sub 20 degree weather, didn't feel like opening the hood... LOL.

Why do you get the "oil level low" does your truck use a shit load of oil or do you just never check it?

Mine consumes half a quart in between changes too...but mine are over long periods of time as I don't drive much.

My buddy just had a huge problem on his 2010 nnbs, the oil pump just stopped working and he didnt even know. But i think that was just him being him...

oil level right where it should be.

@ginger, how to i do the mechanical gauge step? Obviously I'll need the gauge (tester) or whatever.

Also been talking to my mechanic, hopefully he'll be by tonight to check it out for me, else i'll have to figure out to get it to his garage to look at it.

you will need a mech guage, a steel braided line, and a fitting, and then pull out a plug in the oil galley and put the fitting in. not sure where the best place on the ls motors is.

Thanks, sounds a bit more complicated than I'd like to do in the weather we are having, may just have the truck towed to the mechanics and let him worry about it. what a PITA.

There was some mention that there is a screen located under the pressure sensor that sometimes can get gummed up and cause a false reading. I'm going to try to see if that may be the cause and then go from there. The truck did pretty much sit for the last year and I am not the most easy person on a vehicle...

Will continue to keep this updated till i find a resolution. Hopefully not the pump, i'd hate to have to drop more money into it than i have to.

if the sending unit is the same as NBS, then its a lil tough to get to. My father inlaws oil gauge was pegged at 80, swapped it out and was good to go. $35 iirc.

See here...im sure u can use that port for pressure testing too...but its kinda hard to get to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Research the pressure sensor and it location, too much for me to handle in the sub 20 degree weather and snow. So i'm going to hope it's not the pump and drive it the 10 miles to the mechanics and have him do the troubleshooting. if it were summer or still had my garage, I'd just attempt it myself.

Stay tuned for what was the culprit in my case and keep your fingers crossed that I don't blow this motor, or maybe if i do i just drop a 6.0 in it...

Thanks for all the help guys...

if its not that, id put money on the fgt pressure relief spring and plunger....plunger prawlee stuck, letting oil go back into the "intake" side of the pump, thus not building pressure.

So I drove the truck this morning to take it to the shop and by the time I got if my development the gauge started working.

Took it to the shop had the mechanic look it over, could find anything that seemed out if place. Did an oil change (last was done about 2months/1500 miles ago) and we'll see if it happens again.

I hate motor vehicles!

Funny story...

Buddy parked his VW Passat in my driveway and ended up having the exact same issue, no oil pressure... weird. He leaves and his pressure starts working correctly, must just be my driveway. He's never has an issue before.

v/r,
Stephan