Apr 8, 2012
Oklahoma City
So I'm in the process of buying gears but not sure which to go with. I kinda have my mind set on 3 gears it's between 3.73 3.90 or 4.10 help me choose the right gears for me

Gannon

That Guy
Jun 10, 2012
Logansport, Louisiana
Depends on what you're looking for. I've got 4:10's in mine and love them, but my mpg doesn't. Not really that big of a difference in the 3 IMO. If you're looking for a dd/every once in a while race I would go with the 3:73's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dirtmafia

Hella
Jan 24, 2011
California
Also try and estimate where you do most of your driving ( as far as RPM's are concerned) if it is mostly stop and go around town driving the 4.10's will be way more fun around town but hinder on the top end ( freeway driving, etc...) because you'll have to be turning considerably more RPM's to keep the same old cruising speed.

Gears can also help/hinder MPG's as well....The 4.10's around town might see slightly better mileage if you don't drive like an idiot because the engine has to work less to get you moving due to the mechanical advantage of the gears. The 3.73's are going to get slightly better mileage up top (freeway) but its going to take more skinny pedal to get the truck moving around town with the 3.73's....

What are your future plans for the truck? If you are looking to go the boost route I'd lean towards the 3.73's.

Give us some more info and hopefully we can help you out. :shake:

Apr 8, 2012
Oklahoma City
As of right now truck has lt headers & tune. Plans for it are to put in a 80e, gears, stall, cam, & spray maybe down the road boost it.

Also try and estimate where you do most of your driving ( as far as RPM's are concerned) if it is mostly stop and go around town driving the 4.10's will be way more fun around town but hinder on the top end ( freeway driving, etc...) because you'll have to be turning considerably more RPM's to keep the same old cruising speed.

Gears can also help/hinder MPG's as well....The 4.10's around town might see slightly better mileage if you don't drive like an idiot because the engine has to work less to get you moving due to the mechanical advantage of the gears. The 3.73's are going to get slightly better mileage up top (freeway) but its going to take more skinny pedal to get the truck moving around town with the 3.73's....

What are your future plans for the truck? If you are looking to go the boost route I'd lean towards the 3.73's.

Give us some more info and hopefully we can help you out. :shake:

listen to this man

Charlie

Mar 21, 2012
If an 80e is really going to happen then I'd look hardest at 4.10's due to its tall 1st gear. Like previously stated though a boosted setup will favor the 3.73's. I'd love to have 3.90's in my street truck someday personally.

Dirtmafia

Hella
Jan 24, 2011
California
If an 80e is really going to happen then I'd look hardest at 4.10's due to its tall 1st gear.

Good point.

I have an 80E, 4.10's, and 35's.... Let me tall ya' it is awesome for a fairly heavy truck...I could only imagine it with normal wheels/tires, possibly even on a lighter platform.

I didn't run my boost/nitrous setup for too long but 1st gear was pretty useless even with 18's & 35's, I would have favored the numerically lower gear set in that setup for sure.

Low01silveradO

Nov 27, 2012
Good point.

I have an 80E, 4.10's, and 35's.... Let me tall ya' it is awesome for a fairly heavy truck...I could only imagine it with normal wheels/tires, possibly even on a lighter platform.

I didn't run my boost/nitrous setup for too long but 1st gear was pretty useless even with 18's & 35's, I would have favored the numerically lower gear set in that setup for sure.
I'd run 4.88 with this setup
I have 4.10s in my 04 1500 and they are awesome with 33s, was a beast for dead stock on my old light 265s
I'd run 4.56 with this setup
So is 4.10s with 80e be good with boost & spray ?

Yes 4.10s will be your best bet. Don't fear the gear. Too many people are worried about rpm at cruising. Too low of rpm can give you shitty mileage too. And def if you're doing 80e, go 4.10. You won't regret it.

Sent from my One X using Tapatalk

Oct 16, 2011
SoCal
im running 275/50/20s and 410s....love it. I get 17-19mpg on the hwy and 14ish around town. 2500rpm stall and 410s is fun on these tires

Low01silveradO

Nov 27, 2012
I have stock 3.73 with h/c/i 4.8 and it's fun and all but the from a dig it def needs more gear. I have 4.30 sitting at home waiting to go in

Sent from my One X using Tapatalk