headers and y pipe

Fred 4/6

Apr 24, 2013
I've been thinking about doing some simple bolt ons (headers, pulleys, and a tune). My biggest question is whether I should get Shorty headers or long tube headers and any info on the y pipe? It will be going on a 01 gmc sierra 4.8

Shorty headers won't add anything of benefit to the truck, they are the same as stock manifolds for all intents and purposes.

Long tubes will be the best bang for your buck. The y-pipe eliminates the cats, so you'll have to get them tuned out and your rear O2's turned off, or buy a catted y for a lot more.

yea shortys provide very Little almost no gain compared to stock, longtubes and an offroad y pipe is the way to go. if you must have cats you can get catted y pipes like chris said or get high flow cats and customize the y.

Will it sound like crap without the cats? I've heard some trucks without cats and they sounded like crap :-\

Shorty headers won't add anything of benefit to the truck, they are the same as stock manifolds for all intents and purposes.

Long tubes will be the best bang for your buck. The y-pipe eliminates the cats, so you'll have to get them tuned out and your rear O2's turned off, or buy a catted y for a lot more.

What do you mean by tuned out? And how do I turn them off?

depends on your muffler ive Heard some really quiet trucks with no cats.
get the truck tuned and turn them off on the computer

I have lts ory on my 4.8 and with the cutout open its fucking loud. With it closed it sounds quiet until i step on it its loud. Go to my thread for some sound clips.

Man Yal have be very helpful so far with all of my questions, thank you all. One more question, I was reading somebodies thread on here and they said something about soaking them what does this consist of?

Soak the header bolts in Liqiuid wrench or PB blaster. Just makes it easier to take them off without breaking them.

I never soaked mine, none of mine broke lol broke 1 on my buddys 2008 tho. If you run noncats and want it quite look into doing a bullet style muffler infront of a magnaflow muffler.

I did Texas speed long tubes, a 3 inch off road y, to a 3 inch cat back to a borla xr1 it's quiet till you step on it, here's the YouTube video I did
[video=youtube_share;6MdNNW1qj64]http://youtu.be/6MdNNW1qj64[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:
Shorties are basically shiny stock manifolds. Get longtubes. Just got my calspeeds for $382 shipped. Stainless longtubes. Stainless y pipe. Clamps. Gaskets. Bolts. Not bad.

I don't want to thread jack lol but I'll throw a pic up, it's a 454 big block bored 30 over, it's like a 462, big engle cam, not sure of the specs on the cam, but it put about 500 to the wheels
100_0115.jpg