HD hood help

Fred 4/6

Apr 24, 2013
Is there anybody who can give me any advice on how to install an HD hood on my 01 gmc sierra? I've heard that you have to cut them and I was also wondering if I needed to upgrade my hood mounts. Thanks for any and all help

You have to cut the hood to fit the contour of the headlights, the hinges are fine

This.

Only other things I can add are:

1. Trim enough, if not, you'll slam your hood shut and possibly break your headlight and or take paint off the hood.

2. Take your time.

You'll need to trim right here also, it will rub your fenders if not.

u5aqe6en.jpg

Do you guys think it's something I could do with a little 4 1/2inch cut off wheel or should I take it to a professional?

Depends on location. I know there's people down in Houston getting it done for $2-300. I know in my area, there's nobody that would do it. I just happen to find someone that wanted to trade hoods.

^^^ thats a good deal.

Whats important to remember is what the finished product is going to look like underneath. I have pm'd people in the past asking to see pics of the underside of there's....to no response. Usually a good indication of what there hiding.

Either that or they really don't care what it looks like underneath. They are more concerned about what it looks like on the outside.

dang man I wasnt really looking forward to spending that much money but, I guess to play with the bit boys you gotta spend big money. thank you all for all of the good info.

Depends on location. I know there's people down in Houston getting it done for $2-300. I know in my area, there's nobody that would do it. I just happen to find someone that wanted to trade hoods.

That wouldnt be bad if every freakin junkyard didnt want atleast $400 for good hd hood! One junkyard i went to, hd hood had a few dents still wanted $350, and wouldnt come down.

finished
mehy9e9a.jpg

Primer shows the areas I worked to make it fit right
nazyge3a.jpg

I'll post some pics of underneath mine tonight