Having small issue with cluster.

Da_Rebel

Just another guy
Mar 8, 2012
Sanger, TX
Hello all, hope you can help me out with this.

Just leaving work, the rpm needle is reading much lower than it should be. It's still raising slightly when I give it gas going down the road, and still goes up and down when gears shift. It wasn't doing it this morning driving to work. All the other gauges work just fine. I stopped at the gas station to turn it off and on again, still reading too low.

Is this an indicator of my stepper motors going out? Not really sure what it could be. I did swap in an escalade bezel, but that was over a week ago, and it was all working fine then.

Thanks in advance.

Well, to change out the bezel, I didn't need to remove any of the needles, I just unclipped the old one, lifted it off, and snapped on the new one. I was very careful with it, made sure I didn't touch any of the needles.

Its a bad stepper motor. You need to unsolder it and solder in a new one. They are pretty cheap too.

how many miles, under 70000 and it's covered IIRC, age doesn't matter
Age does matter. GM's recall/ warranty extension specifically stated "7 years or 70,000 miles, whichever comes first" .
So unless its a 06 or an 07 classic, his warranty is over with.

It's a 2004, 75k. I'm sending it off tomorrow to AZ to have all the motors replaced, light blue LEDs installed, and white needles. Thanks for the response Scott. :shake:

Age does matter. GM's recall/ warranty extension specifically stated "7 years or 70,000 miles, whichever comes first" .
So unless its a 06 or an 07 classic, his warranty is over with.

Thanks for clearing it up, been over a year since I was wrenching for GM.

I just change 2 stepper motors and some bulbs that burned out on my sister's Yukon last night. Easy fix takes about 30 min for two and I'm counting assembly and dis-assembly of the cluster.

I just changed some stepper motors for a guy. I need to do a write up. Shoulda sent it to me if you can't solder. I'd do it for cheap.

I just changed some stepper motors for a guy. I need to do a write up. Shoulda sent it to me if you can't solder. I'd do it for cheap.

If I had known, I would have. I've already sent it out though, he's going to do a LED conversion for me. Blue with white needles.

Definitely! I resoldered all new leds inside, its not a bad job, i think the only bad part would be moving the needles to an incorrect location.

Got mine back Monday. Light blue LEDs, white needles.

125.jpg