Ghost Crank

Chris.G.Jr.

Apr 29, 2012
Bartlesville, Oklahoma
Alright so I don't know if I am the only one who has EVER experienced this problem of the mysterious Ghost Crank.

Well back when we were installing my crate motor, we were adjusting things and would crank the motor to try and start it, we would tweak the timing crank it and so on. Well one of those times the truck fired up and ran a bit but the guy was helping told me to kill it, so i turned the key off pulled it out yet the truck was still cranking over hence the "Ghost Crank" we disconnected the battery and it obviously stopped, reconnected it and hadn't had the Ghost Crank happen again......

Until today.

Its a 5.7 sbc 350 tbi

Its been a couple weeks since the initial install and other then replacing the egr solenoid piece (where the hose from the egr connects to) and having to regasket and reseal the oil filter adapter at the block I've been good. (well cept for the egr thing not permanently fixing the sputter and the oil pressure gauge)

Anyways back to the main point, My truck was dirty so i took a drive down to the closest DIY car wash to rinse off the dirt and mud off the truck, pulled in, got out put in some quarters and started on the back passenger side, worked my way to the driver rear then driver front, then passenger front.

I started spraying inside the wheel well and all of a sudden i started hearing a weird noise, i stopped spraying and first thought it was the machine, sprayed a bit then stopped, i got into the truck and turned the key to start it, it started fine. Then turned it off and the noise kept going, i restarted it and pulled out from under the wash bay and stopped turned it off and got out, popped the hood and the serpentine system was still turning like it was being cranked (ghost crank). With the keys in my pocket i was confused, i started to smell a weird smell so i quickly disconnected the battery to avoid the starter burning up. when i reconnected it, it wasn't ghost cranking and i got in started it up and it was good.

I got back to my sisters place a couple miles away and shut it off. I opened the hood and crawled under the truck made sure the starter wires were all attached tightly, good there. there was some type of hair or crap hanging out of a hole on the starter about to fall out, wasnt sure what it was for so i got it out.(noticed on some pics of starters for my truck there is supposed to be a screw in the hole...) went to start the truck and fired it up and it idled up a bit higher then i shut it off, turned key all the way off and removed it yet kept cranking a little so i put the key back in and turned it just once (not all the way to cranking) then back off and it stopped.

Sat there for a min and would start it and it'd start fine, shut it off then restart and nothing abnormal.

My question is is what would cause this?? I'm baffled and don't know what to do.... i wasn't sure if while using the pressure washer at the car wash if i hit something regarding the starter and it triggered it.

Any Ideas???

this is what was hanging out of the hole

srsly tho...id guess its a bad solenoid...gets stuck and keeps the starter engaged. It does happen with new starters...I installed a new starter on buddy's accord....fgt thing doesnt engage sometimes...brand new, not rebuilt. Bet if you get a new starter in there the problem goes away

srsly tho...id guess its a bad solenoid...gets stuck and keeps the starter engaged. It does happen with new starters...I installed a new starter on buddy's accord....fgt thing doesnt engage sometimes...brand new, not rebuilt. Bet if you get a new starter in there the problem goes away

Thanks man, should have replaced it with the motor....just overlooked some things when they should have been replaced

Would an autoparts store be able to detect a bad solenoid? I know they obviously test the starters but could they pinpoint that its the solenoid?

Last edited:
With an intermittent issue like that the only way you will know when testing is if it happens but I agree with Eddie, replace the starter.

now that i think about it more...iirc my old 460's starter would stick when itd get hot :roflmao: header was too close. u can try swapping out the "bendix" or whatev its called...but an entire starter is usually only a couple bucks more

now that i think about it more...iirc my old 460's starter would stick when itd get hot :roflmao: header was too close. u can try swapping out the "bendix" or whatev its called...but an entire starter is usually only a couple bucks more

well idk if that would be the cause (heat) bc the truck hadnt been run but a few miles down the road and surely it didnt heat up extremely quick. I'll look into pricing a new starter and hopefully that will solve the problem!