Garage flooring- Epoxy or tile- anyone have it, pros/cons of either?

j.mo

Apr 24, 2012
Nor Cal
I'm looking to finish out the garage with extra baseboard left over from the house, and also paint the garage interior the house interior color.
Up until a few days ago I was set on an epoxy flake coating.
But I've recently been reading about tiling the garage. Many people seem to like it better, and say it's more durable.
Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SamCarroll

Faux Runner
Staff member
Jan 25, 2011
Northern California
if you tile it, do Rubber or VCT. ceramic will break under certain weight. I recommend rubber, whenever i get a house i plan to install seamless rubber floor with a 6" cove so i can hose it down if needed.

j.mo

Apr 24, 2012
Nor Cal
I'm talking porcelain tile. 18x18
It's about the same cost as an epoxy coating. Which people say scratches and wears much easier.
I guess the porcelain is stronger than ceramic, but people say good old ceramic works too, because of the backing surface it's on.
Straight up concrete as opposed to a wooden sub floor in a house, making the tile weaker

Cheeny23

Resident Wop
Staff member
Jan 8, 2011
Bakersfield
i wouldnt put tile down imo. drop anything, you're going to get chips and cracks besides from the weight of the vehicles. epoxy coating with rubber mats over areas i think is the way to go. easier to repair too

wretched73

Apr 18, 2012
Vct tiles like Sam said would be better. That's the type of tile you see in older school classrooms. It's heavier than hell but I've seen it in old machine shops that have forklifts drive on it and it's still in decent condition 20+ years later

HackMcMaster

Jun 26, 2012
Dunes
I'm talking porcelain tile. 18x18
It's about the same cost as an epoxy coating. Which people say scratches and wears much easier.
I guess the porcelain is stronger than ceramic, but people say good old ceramic works too, because of the backing surface it's on.
Straight up concrete as opposed to a wooden sub floor in a house, making the tile weaker

porcelain is a ceramic :facepalm:

j.mo

Apr 24, 2012
Nor Cal
porcelain is a ceramic :facepalm:

Yes, porcelain is a ceramic, but in terms of "ceramic" and "porcelain" tile, there is a difference.
Mustang and Ferrari, both sports cars.

Q. What is the difference between standard “ceramic” tiles and porcelain tiles?

A. Tile terminology can be confusing. Most types of tiles that are made from clay or a mixture of clay and other materials, then kiln-fired, are considered to be a part of the larger classification called “Ceramic Tiles”. These tiles can be split into two groups, porcelain tiles and non-porcelain tiles. These non-porcelain tiles are frequently referred to as ceramic tiles by themselves, separate from porcelain tiles.

“Ceramic” or non-porcelain tiles are generally made from red or white clay fired in a kiln. They are almost always finished with a durable glaze which carries the color and pattern. These tiles are used in both wall tile and floor tile applications, are softer and easier to cut than porcelain, and usually carry a PEI 0 to 3 rating. Non-porcelain ceramic tiles are usually suitable for very light to moderate traffic and generally have a relatively high water absorption rating making them less frost resistant and they are more prone to wear and chipping than porcelain tiles.

Porcelain tile is a tile that is generally made by the dust pressed method from porcelain clays which result in a tile that is dense, impervious, fine grained and smooth, with a sharply formed face. Porcelain tiles usually have a much lower water absorption rate (less than 0.5%) than non-porcelain tiles making them frost resistant or frost-proof. Glazed porcelain tiles are much harder and more wear and damage resistant than non-porcelain ceramic tiles, making them suitable for any application from light traffic to the heaviest residential and light commercial traffic. Full body porcelain tiles carry the color and pattern through the entire thickness of the tile making them virtually impervious to wear and are suitable for any application from residential to the highest traffic commercial or industrial applications. Porcelain tiles are available in matte, unglazed or a high polished finish.

There are plenty of books available on that iPhone 6 you have billy. Read one.

Cheeny23

Resident Wop
Staff member
Jan 8, 2011
Bakersfield
main difference, if ceramic chips, you'll see the different colored clay underneath, porcelain is solid color all the way through

SamCarroll

Faux Runner
Staff member
Jan 25, 2011
Northern California
If you put tile down, you will hate it. But you like to flash your money so if you think this will make you more successful among your neighbors then go for it. Ill wait to laugh once they crack, chip and pop up. Especially with that cheap of a tile.

j.mo

Apr 24, 2012
Nor Cal
Really has nothing to do with money. Perhaps value for the home at selling time? Sure. But that's really it.
I spend a lot of time in the garage, and like things clean. Reason for a coating, or tile.
I'm sure tile will add more value to the home.
I've been reading on garage journal and the epoxy seems to hold up worse than the tile, but that forum seems bias toward tile. Reason for me asking here and the powerstroke forum to get fresh thoughts on what's preferred. I've never had anything but a plain ass concrete garage floor.

Huck

BIIIIG SQRBDY GUY
Jan 27, 2011
Gainesville, Ga
Tile does not belong in the garage. I've never heard of that in my life, it cracks if you drop anything on it, it'll definitely crack under the weight of a vehicle, and depending on what is dropped on it, it'll stain. DNW tile anywhere near the garage, go epoxy or rubber

Sent from Tapatwat

Smith

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 28, 2011
Louisiana
From what I've read when looking into the subject I have to agree with Sam. Also, he's a floor guy so I'm sure he's not exactly ignorant on this subject :imo:

j.mo

Apr 24, 2012
Nor Cal
Tile does not belong in the garage. I've never heard of that in my life, it cracks if you drop anything on it, it'll definitely crack under the weight of a vehicle, and depending on what is dropped on it, it'll stain. DNW tile anywhere near the garage, go epoxy or rubber

Sent from Tapatwat

Idk about that. I have tile in my store, and plenty of shit has been dropped on it, moved around, abused daily etc.
like I said before, the reason tile cracks, it's what's beneath it. In a house you have shit plywood subfloor, which you compensate with backerboard.
Applying tile on a concrete surface is a different ball game.
Read up about it. People are taking floor jacks to their f350's on tile garage floors, take it like a champ. Where the epoxy scratches.
18x18 porcelain with very small grout lines would be the tits I think.

SamCarroll

Faux Runner
Staff member
Jan 25, 2011
Northern California
Idk about that. I have tile in my store, and plenty of shit has been dropped on it, moved around, abused daily etc.
like I said before, the reason tile cracks, it's what's beneath it. In a house you have shit plywood subfloor, which you compensate with backerboard.
Applying tile on a concrete surface is a different ball game.
Read up about it. People are taking floor jacks to their f350's on tile garage floors, take it like a champ. Where the epoxy scratches.
18x18 porcelain with very small grout lines would be the tits I think.

this is completely incorrect. its faulty installation, not the wood subfloor. People install all over concrete, IE Malls and whatnot all the time, this isnt ground breaking. Wood subfloors are fine, its when installers use too much mud or dont adhere it properly. Dont try to justify it when its installer error.

I've floored hundreds of garages, most are patterned carpet, VCT, rubber or epoxy. Not once tile, because it doesnt belong there.

j.mo

Apr 24, 2012
Nor Cal
this is completely incorrect. its faulty installation, not the wood subfloor. People install all over concrete, IE Malls and whatnot all the time, this isnt ground breaking. Wood subfloors are fine, its when installers use too much mud or dont adhere it properly. Dont try to justify it when its installer error.

I'm no tile guy, that's just what I've read consistently :shrug: and seemed to make sense. If the floor beneath May flex, which continues through the tile and cracks/makes weak. If the floor beneath it is solid ass, smooth and ground concrete, there should be no reason to have movement, which is what cracks tile?

SamCarroll

Faux Runner
Staff member
Jan 25, 2011
Northern California
tile sits on a membrane, if its too thick it will allow too much give. you dont bandaid faulty wood subfloor by adding some backer board. Thats just stupid and ignorant installation tactics. We've installed ceramic and porcelain in high end homes in the bay area with wood subfloors on first and second floors. No issues. Its 100% installer error.

Think about this, you have a flat panel stuck to the floor, you roll a vehicle over the edge of it at an entry angle much like a driveway to garage entry point. Whats going to happen? Its going to roll over it fine for awhile then itll blow up as it finds weak points in the tiles. it would happen with almost anything that is a solid state. Carpet/VCT/Rubber is all plyable and able to shift/move when pressured and displace the weight. Its why they use them in gym floors and basketball courts.