Gannon's 2000 Sierra turbo build

Badass! When i finally put my on in 4-10 years, we'll have to run em. See how home fabbed and chinese bullshit compares to name brand and professionally designed.Definitely keeping up with it!
:hng: I wonder how it'll do with those 4.11s? You may end up needing to go back down to a 3.55 or so
why you say that? he'll be into boost quicker with 4.11 vs 3.55.

Right but he'll also run out of the boost quicker. Boosted vehicles like a taller rear gear most times. My experience and research is more with cars and especially mustangs but it still applies, especially since his RCSB is relatively light.

Turbos like something to work against rather than just free spooling. Too much gear and you hit boost quick but your revs go by too quick and the tires can't keep traction on a hard launch and you get out of your power band or hit redline too quick.

A lot of mustang guys run 4.10s NA for the torque multiplication and it works perfect. Makes it faster every time. But every big power turbo car is running 3.27s usually, sometimes 3.55s because they make too much power too quick with 4.10s

I don't see it on your list, but your bulk head connector on your fuel system wont hold fuel pressure at higher RPM. That fuel pump will pull so much amperage at higher RPM, your gonna drop voltage and pressure.

Huck is right, the turbo will build boost better with taller gears. I see a lot of truck builds going with 3.42s and having good results

I don't see it on your list, but your bulk head connector on your fuel system wont hold fuel pressure at higher RPM. That fuel pump will pull so much amperage at higher RPM, your gonna drop voltage and pressure.

Turbos are still pretty new to me, and I'm still researching about it, so if you don't mind, elaborat.

Its not so much a turbo thing, its that older trucks, especially 99-02 have very small bulkheads on the fuel pump. You need a fuel system hotwire kit. It upgrades the wiring, bulkhead, connectors to support the extra load that pumps going to make. It hotwires power directly off the alternator, giving the fuel system a consistent power delivery. My 99 had the issue with my built motor

Personally, Ordering the pump/electrical was the wrong move. you should contact Racetronix, buy the hotwire kit(like 100$) and a complete new drop in sending unit(250$ comes with fuel pump, upgraded bigger connectors).

If you stay with what you have currently, your still gonna need the hotwire kit, and the upgraded bulkhead connectors for the top of the fuel pump module.

This is all from my personal experience with the exact same situation

I'll definitely look into it. I appreciate the help. Like said, I just bought on the spot because a couple buddies said it was a pretty good kit for a good price.

I have a lot of researching to do before I start. But I also have a couple buddies that has messed with turbos, and will hopefully help come install time.

The guy I bought it from owns a performance shop in bossier, who also said they would install everything for $500. But I would rather attempt myself and try and learn. So if anyone else notices something I miss, let me know lol.

4.11 is too short of a gear for turbo. Needs a taller gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapashit

I'm with you and the others. Numerically lower gear for sure. In for build lol gonna be sweet man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you going to be running stock head gaskets?

Yes

Also I will be doing a little at a time, not building race truck, just want something fun to drive. Hell, I've only raced thus truck once since all the motor work that's done now.

After turbo plans:
Re-gear
Different cam
When tranny blows, 4l80

Is there anyway of telling what kind of gears you have by looking at them? I still have my stock gears, but the rear end isn't from my truck, so I can't look at the code.

I'm kinda stuck in which gears to get either 3.90s or 4.10s but I'm more then likely going 4.10s

But I've heard the shorter the gear the better