Fuel gauge dropping down to empty when stopped

06_LowTie

HID+
Apr 2, 2013
Bear, Delaware, United States
OK so yesterday i was driving and every time i stopped at a red light my fuel gauge would drop down to empty and the light would come on.... when i took off and started driving again it went back up to a 1/4 tank... but it also threw my check engine light on.

When i started it up this morning the check engine light was off and it was perfectly fine. what the hell happened?

Samuel6731

Cant Get Right
Mar 11, 2012
New Roads La.
sending unit could be going out. Its what reads, and signals the cluster what to read tank level.
I just find it odd because normally they just go out. Its also uncommon for 03+ trucks to do so anyway.

I know older trucks the tanks were not baffled and stop and going would always move the fuel gauge if there was room in the tank for the fuel to move around in. However nowadays they are baffled, but it can still happen just not as bad.
My 05 sierra does this. If i have say 1/4 tank or less and i brake for a long period of time (slowing down from 60+ to say 10-5mph) mine will go to E fuel light will come on.... then moments after sitting itll go right back up.

06_LowTie

HID+
Apr 2, 2013
Bear, Delaware, United States
hmm, thanks man. I hasn't done it in about a week now so im not too worried about it right now, i just always check to see how much gas i have before i get out of the truck do that i know in case it happens lolz