Front axle seal and diff extension removal

GeoffSFAs10

May 7, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Quick question, I am getting varried answers to this problem. On the passenger side axle seal, its leaking so I need to replace. Do I have to remove the extension from the diff to get the axle out or can i just whack it with a hammer/use a pry bar and slide it out, swap seal and slide it back in? I get varried answers from searching. Pass side is leaking and also is making a high pitched squeal that sounds like the brake indicator noise but i had the wheel off today, its not the break...appears to be coming from the cv/axle joint....where it leaking. Thanks dudes.

marc

WhiteSilvy
May 16, 2013
canada
not exactly sure this video he takes the whole tube off.

i would go this route since then you dont have to take the cv shaft off.

also you will be able to replace the seal on a work bench instead of laying under your truck.

in the end of the video this guy is explaining that if the washer falls down when you do it by just pulling the shaft out it will not be able to go back in and you will have to take the tube down anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

GeoffSFAs10

May 7, 2012
St. Louis, MO
You need to take the CV off regardless. Im not worried about that part. The seal on the pass side is done and im pretty sure the drivers hub is toast too. Going to be a fun front end weekend.

GeoffSFAs10

May 7, 2012
St. Louis, MO
yeah that seems to be the thing. Seems the NNBS they changed the axle shaft at the diff and theres a washer in there that you cant pull thru but the NBS is able to split without splitting the extension off. Also need to do the drivers side hub, its making some awful sounds. Hopefully the passenger isnt as well.