Flip kit vs. shackle and block delete

Oktain

Canuck Admin
Staff member
Feb 9, 2012
Sudbury, ON
So here's my issue.

I've decided on a 2/4", and I'm going to use DJM LCA's to get the 2" drop up front, however, since I don't have the proper tools to safely pull the rear of my truck apart to do a flip kit, and labor rates are RIDICULOUS, I'm looking at a cost effective solution to drop the rear or the truck 4". So my question is:

What are the advantages and disadvantages of a flip kit, over simply using a 3" drop shackle, and removing the rear block?

The labour intensive portion of the rear drop is replacing the rear hangers, I can easily eliminate that by changing my drop strategy, and it'll lessen the blow to my wallet as far as ordering a kit goes, paying simply for LCA's, rather than with a flip kit in mind.

Oh, and for the rear shocks, I'm about 99% sure I'll run stock with Mcaughys shock extenders.

EDIT: seems DJM has a rear kit that does what I'm looking for. 3" drop shackle, and spring plate to remove the rear block. https://djmsuspension.com/product/rk2507-3/

And the LCA's https://djmsuspension.com/product/ca2515l-2/

Last edited:

BigBoi

Mar 14, 2012
St George SC
I feel like 3" shackles would mess with the pinion angle a decent amount. With the flip kit, you could properly align it.

BigBoi

Mar 14, 2012
St George SC
That's what I would suggest but then you'd be going backwards in your quest for 4".

I'm sure if they're selling 3" shackles and not suggesting shims that it'll be fine. But I'd look around and see if anyone has had vibrations after the 3" shackle install. 3" seems like a lot of rotation for the axle in my mind.

Maybe someone more experienced can chime in.

Oktain

Canuck Admin
Staff member
Feb 9, 2012
Sudbury, ON
By less than an inch most hopefully. I'll talk to the mechanic and see what he thinks.

Sent from my igloo using my SGS7

Oktain

Canuck Admin
Staff member
Feb 9, 2012
Sudbury, ON
I have 1-2" drop shackles and 3" Western Chassis Drop Leafs on my ccsb. Going with bags if you're interested

Shipping and duty to Canada would kill :imo:

Also, excited to see what your truck looks like when Brett's done with it :dubstep:

For the record, from what I've been reading elsewhere, 3" shackles shouldn't change my pinion angle enough to create issues. Only one way to find out I guess. Might order some 3* wedges just in case.