Fiesty

Jul 28, 2013
Kansas City, MO
Welp I'm no longer pulling a trailer daily so I sold the ol dmax about a month ago and picked this up. 2008 Pontiac G8 GT, 72k, L76, 6 speed auto, sun roof (always wanted one), loaded, etc. Sold the dmax for $1k more than I paid for it, and got this for $16k which is a pretty good price for this area. So far I like it a lot. The car is a blast to drive.

Car came with PaceSetter long tubes, mufflers, MSD wires, and an HP tuners tune by a local guy. It has FlowMaster 40s :embarassed: and no cats/resonators. I was really surprised at how quiet and good sounding the exhaust is. There's no drone or rasp or anything and I'm actually pretty happy with the exhaust, except for the tips, dey ugly.

Pic when I got it. Car was dirty since it was trailered through the snow, had badges and stickers the PO put on it, had cheap ass tint that was extremely faded and basically clear.

Cleaned it up, de-badged it, peeled the tint and got it re-done. 5% all around, 35% shield. Also installed Morimoto 5500k reverse lights.

The stock 19" wheels were made by Enkei, they have black center caps which look poopy imo. I painted them silver, also got rid of amber corner markers and put in clear corners.

De-badged most of trunk, still debating on removing the center spear (would like to find a white pontiac logo). Also pic of ugly tips.

I have dual 3.5'' tips that will go on, also considering an x-pipe?

I don't have any huge plans for the car. I need to keep it reliable as possible since I drive 50 miles each way to work.

So far I've done tint, LEDs inside, LED reverse lights, painted center caps, de-badge, LED fog lights, and turned up the factory amp which made a difference.

Plans include
-Color matched shark fin antenna Done
-GXP rear diffuser Done
-3.5" exhaust tips
-1.5''-2'' drop (most likely H&R springs)
-V6 taillights (v6 tails are red) Done
-Morimoto 5500k HIDs in factory projectors Done
-vLEDs 5000k switchbacks (sitting in garage)
-vLEDs 5000k 194 bulbs for marker lights
-White hood vents Done
-Chrome lug covers
-I'd like to put on some VMR wheels and 285s but that will be quite a while, May have to settle for Camaro or CTS-V wheels
-Fix driver side front bumper that has a tiny bit of rash, and rear bumper has cracked clear coat
-2 door dings need pulled
-Drilled / slotted rotors, Hawk HPS pads, and painted calipers Done

-Solo Macho Shorty cat back Done
-RotoFab intake Done
-Rick Crawford "Little Lunati" low lift cam- 219/223 .612/.615 112+1 Done
-BTR Platinum Dual Valve Springs Done
-BTR trunion upgrade Done
-DOD delete Done
-7.425'' chromoly push rods Done
-LS7 lifters Done
-ARP Head bolts Done
-ARP Balancer bolt Done
-ARP cam bolts Done
-GM HD timing Chain Done

Last edited:

Jared

Administrator
Feb 8, 2012
North Dallas
Don't buy Camaro wheels. 20s suck. Find led tails and I'll trade my v6 tails. H&R or tein springs with fe3 struts. I'm going H&R coilovers

Jared

Administrator
Feb 8, 2012
North Dallas
285 is wide if lowering. Ls9 cam is dumb. I get 22mpg, 18 when spirited and 16 city. Worst I've seen was 14 and that was nonstop beating

Chewy07

Wookie on the Beat
Apr 9, 2013
Stillwater, OK
Awww yiiissss. I've always been a fan of those cars. There's a sliver one here with 5k everything including switchbacks. Looks and sounds awesome. In for the awesome

Jared

Administrator
Feb 8, 2012
North Dallas
Common things to look for and watch for:

Trim on the side of the seats at the bottom, the clip breaks, there is a zip tie hack rather than buying a new one. They aren't really cheap for what they are! Mine is broke.

Windshield trim gets brittle and brakes away. New trim is cheap, or use a razor blade and go straight down the glass and clean it up. Mine is brittle.

Window trims at the bottom of the windows become brittle and break. crazypaul sells them cheap, I have the black version because chrome sucks.

You know about the dod lifers already.

Front bumpers crack dead center and split. Mine did.

Top trim on roof dries out. Haven't looked into replacement for mine yet, I treat with VRT. I got new plastic caps where the roof rack would insert. They are cheap.

Stock subs are wired incorrectly. We wire them for better sound.

Remote start distance blows, you can take the seats out and extend the wire.

Stock headunit controls the a/c, so you can't simply swap head units unfortunately. There is a kit from G8 designs, or there is an Andriod head unit replacement. Quite frankly I am not a fan of the Android, and the G8 designs uses a Folcik interface that I have trouble liking. Overall, I will have to say G8 designs is the better option.

Oil pressure sensors are notorious for going out. It's a tad bit of a cunt to reach.

Harmonic Balancers are trash and get a "wobble". I kept tossing a/c belts before I figured it out. I did a Powerbond UDP and never had another issue.

Lower control arms have a TSB. Could play a factor in your steering wheel shimmy if you have it.

Door panel grab handle trim comes undone.

Steering wheel trim top centers pops up some.

Going back to the head unit, the hazard light is integrated, it gets stuck on some cars. The head unit in general is plagued with many issues. CDs get stuck, face goes black.

I'll add more as I think of it.

Overall it's a Pontiac, don't expect much. It is a great handling car for 4100lbs, and it responds well to mods. It gets a tons of thumbs up and smiles. It just has its many quirks like most other vehicles.

Dakota

Dat Static 4wd
Mar 12, 2012
texarkana
Lawd those tip are ug-lee. v6 tails will look much better. And I personally love ctsv wheels on them.

So jelly of the car. Do want so bad.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Fiesty

Jul 28, 2013
Kansas City, MO
Common things to look for and watch for:

Trim on the side of the seats at the bottom, the clip breaks, there is a zip tie hack rather than buying a new one. They aren't really cheap for what they are! Mine is broke.

Windshield trim gets brittle and brakes away. New trim is cheap, or use a razor blade and go straight down the glass and clean it up. Mine is brittle.

Window trims at the bottom of the windows become brittle and break. crazypaul sells them cheap, I have the black version because chrome sucks.

You know about the dod lifers already.

Front bumpers crack dead center and split. Mine did.

Top trim on roof dries out. Haven't looked into replacement for mine yet, I treat with VRT. I got new plastic caps where the roof rack would insert. They are cheap.

Stock subs are wired incorrectly. We wire them for better sound.

Remote start distance blows, you can take the seats out and extend the wire.

Stock headunit controls the a/c, so you can't simply swap head units unfortunately. There is a kit from G8 designs, or there is an Andriod head unit replacement. Quite frankly I am not a fan of the Android, and the G8 designs uses a Folcik interface that I have trouble liking. Overall, I will have to say G8 designs is the better option.

Oil pressure sensors are notorious for going out. It's a tad bit of a cunt to reach.

Harmonic Balancers are trash and get a "wobble". I kept tossing a/c belts before I figured it out. I did a Powerbond UDP and never had another issue.

Lower control arms have a TSB. Could play a factor in your steering wheel shimmy if you have it.

Door panel grab handle trim comes undone.

Steering wheel trim top centers pops up some.

Going back to the head unit, the hazard light is integrated, it gets stuck on some cars. The head unit in general is plagued with many issues. CDs get stuck, face goes black.

I'll add more as I think of it.

Overall it's a Pontiac, don't expect much. It is a great handling car for 4100lbs, and it responds well to mods. It gets a tons of thumbs up and smiles. It just has its many quirks like most other vehicles.
my trim is brittle all over.. I think my windshield trim isnt even there lol
Any info on wiring stock subs?
On the oil pressure dial, how much psi does one bar account for? how many bars is normal for hot idle? when they go out, does it peg at no bars or full bars or?
My damn grab handle leather or whatever came undone too.

Where did you order the tips? I was thinking about the ssclones.com
yeah i got mine from there. they seem like good quality for the $

Lawd those tip are ug-lee. v6 tails will look much better. And I personally love ctsv wheels on them.

So jelly of the car. Do want so bad.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
thanks brah

Jared

Administrator
Feb 8, 2012
North Dallas
I don't have atari gauges, so not sure. Look up re-wiring the subs, on the forums, there is a couple ways, I never did mine, I am too lazy

slicksierra

Feel some type of way
Mar 8, 2012
Central Jersey
Wanted to ask since u have both. What's the brightness difference between the morimoto LEDs and the vleds. Kinda late cause I already purchased the vleds switchbacks but u can get a pair of the morimotos for the price of one vleds.

Good call on the tint lol looks so good. And can't ain't to see the v6 tails on there or maybe candy those tails. Looks gewd

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fiesty

Jul 28, 2013
Kansas City, MO
Wanted to ask since u have both. What's the brightness difference between the morimoto LEDs and the vleds. Kinda late cause I already purchased the vleds switchbacks but u can get a pair of the morimotos for the price of one vleds.

Good call on the tint lol looks so good. And can't ain't to see the v6 tails on there or maybe candy those tails. Looks gewd

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

i wanna say the vLEDs are a bit brighter

- - - - - - - - - -auto merged double post- - - - - - - - - -

also got my antenna and GXP diffuser in today. yay