Emery19

That Ford Guy
Apr 8, 2012
Mount Laurel, NJ
little update:

welp, took Scotty's advise and replaced the vacuum line off the regulator, no dice, still have the same problem. Popped over to Mike's this weekend and threw a fuel pressure regulator on it. no dice. still have a starting problem. basically if it sits for like an hour or more, it wont start first try, cycle the key, fires right up. After listening to Mike's truck start, mine definitely has a weak start, but we have no idea why.

as of right now, either I have done, or right before I bought it:
new fuel filter
new plugs
new wires
new FPR and vacuum line

Truck drives perfect, has power, so fuel side, the only other obvious answer is the fuel pump. but nothing is pointing that direction. Mike mused about it for a while and suggested I check my grounds and do a starter relay and ignition relay. eliminate some other small things. so next week on my vacation I'll do that and see if anything happens. Truck throws no codes, so if the relays don't work, it has to either be a starter or fuel pump. guess we'll find out.

a-fuso

GMC Owner
Mar 28, 2012
CA
I'd almost put money on a fuel pump, you're at the mileage most of them go out at.

Just curious what kind of fuel mileage you get with that Tahoe?

Cleanoh4

Aug 27, 2013
NJ
I'd almost put money on a fuel pump, you're at the mileage most of them go out at.

Dont scare me Im at 167 on my OE lol. But at least I can pull my bed.
Im not sold on the FP bc its not consistent, of course it always could be, but would definitely try the smaller cheaper things first

Emery19

That Ford Guy
Apr 8, 2012
Mount Laurel, NJ

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it was, but Mike and I were talking about it this weekend and nothing is adding up to it. Of course if nothing else I try works, I'll end up doing a pump and you can say I told you so. :rofl:

As far as mileage goes, I've really only driven it consistently to work every day which is 5 miles round trip. I think last fill up was 12-13mpg. But I'm taking it to ME tomorrow so I will report back on what it is.

Dont scare me Im at 167 on my OE lol. But at least I can pull my bed.
Im not sold on the FP bc its not consistent, of course it always could be, but would definitely try the smaller cheaper things first

yeah don't remind me.

Emery19

That Ford Guy
Apr 8, 2012
Mount Laurel, NJ

so a little late, like I promised, my trip home I averaged around 17 mpg on the highway. was stuck in traffic a bit, but then there were stretches I'd cruise around 75-80 mpg. when I was home in town I was around 14. trip back back around 17ish.

anyways little update on the old hoe. Ya'll were right. fuel pump died the Wednesday when I was home in my parents driveway. Extremely lucky I made the whole trip from Jersey to Maine without it going out on me. So it has a brand new fuel pump in it and it fires perfectly. So now that all the important stuff is fixed, I can work on mods and such for it.

however. My luck isn't that good. The damn squeak I fixed back when I first bought it, is back. Its a belt squeak, I don't know why it came back. the only thing i can attribute it to, is that when I fixed it, I never ran the heat or ac or even had the fans turned on until this week. The day after I ran the defroster, it started squeaking again. Personally I find it embarrassing that my truck is squeaking rolling down the road, but at this point I'm not going to fuck with it till it breaks. just deal with the looks and turn the radio up so I don't hear it.

haven't had a chance to do any cosmetic mods on it yet. When I was home I wanted to take the mudflaps off, but they've been on so long that the paint behind them is rubbed off so I don't want to look at that and expose the bare metal.. so looks like I'm keeping the mud flaps. About that only thing I'll probably do is remove the pappy lights off the mirrors and tint the windows. Kinda scared to see what would happen if I try taking off the moldings but they need gone badly. Next year it'll need tires so that is when the level and wheels and tires will come. Going to see if I can find some newer 17's or 20's to run when the time comes. was thinking about pulling stuff to send to paint, but one of the handle buckets is cracked, so I'm just going to probably buy all new stuff, because I at least need one, and I can't have the downtime on this with no garage to keep it in with no handles or anything.

Emery19

That Ford Guy
Apr 8, 2012
Mount Laurel, NJ
nothing new to report, other then it still squeaks and I have a stupid evap code I'm to lazy to try to fix. (thinking gas cap.)

thinking of scooping some paint to match handles from 1A Auto, and then finding some factory style flares of ebay and have them all painted. Still need to find where I can get a paintable bumper cap though. just going to depend on how much they want to charge for paint.

Front's

https://www.1aauto.com/exterior-door-handle-pair/i/1adhs00349?f=530696&y=2001

Rear's
https://www.1aauto.com/exterior-door-handle-pair/i/1adhs00803?f=814542&y=2001

Liftgate
https://www.1aauto.com/liftgate-handle/i/1abth00106?f=675896&y=2001

Flares - any thoughts on these? only want flares because I want to ditch the mud flaps and there is paint missing behind them.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-2006-C...m3349e7eda0:m:mfiY1XwvArU6ShnIXFoeQpg&vxp=mtr

bumper cap, apparently this is primed? not sure.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FOR-1999-20...ash=item2ef6a45f3c:g:6OAAAOSwo4pYGXjV&vxp=mtr

Emery19

That Ford Guy
Apr 8, 2012
Mount Laurel, NJ
so i finally did something. pulled running boards off and mudflaps. super mod bro.

in traditional fashion, pulling off the passenger side board i stripped one of the torx key bolts and the bit i had. so there is still three brackets on that side. two of those will come off when i get a new T40 bit. the other one remains to be seen. mud flaps weren't bad behind surprisingly, but not perfect. drivers side came off no issues, passenger side were put on differently, so that was fun getting the rear one off, ended up just cutting it and leaving the stripped bolt in.

wanted to get it tinted yesterday but they were booked so its going in next saturday for tint all around. not sure how dark im doing...but we'll see.

next is clears and painted handles, bumper cap, mirror caps. undecided what i'm doing about mirrors, if i want to find some DL3's or just do the caps on these and loose the previous owners add on lights. probably caps for now because its cheaper.

moldings and window vents need to go too...

anyone know if the old onstar antenna goes through the glass physically or if it's just stuck on? would love to lose that and the buttons in the dash and swap for a cubby.

oh...and it still fucking squeaks, even worse now. i have a feeling its the AC unit.

h4SwZs8.jpg

w2pN7BD.jpg

racer36

nbs lyfe
Aug 17, 2014
homer, mi
If you think its along the lines of the ac, remove that belt and see if the noise is still there. I believe these are on their own belt

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

the compressor does have its own belt, and runs if you have the defrost on or the AC. you can remove it if you think thats the noise.

Other thing to do is if it does it at idle, take some wd 40, spray a little on the belt, if ht quiets up for a few minutes, the belt is bad, if it doesnt spray the bearing of each pulley, and see if that quiets it down. used to use that trick when i worked in the shop to trouble shoot.

Emery19

That Ford Guy
Apr 8, 2012
Mount Laurel, NJ
yeah its, its own belt, i had it off a while ago when i replaced the tensioner for the ac and it stopped for a while. and now its back. i shoulda tried it when i took it apart last to put new belt on, it has two brand new belts, new tensioners and pulleys.

might have to try wd 40 trick this weekend see wtf is wrong.

Emery19

That Ford Guy
Apr 8, 2012
Mount Laurel, NJ
well haven't posted in this thread in a while. Belt issue got fixed. Was the tensioner apparently..even though I replaced it... but no more squeak so fuck it.

But it's been great since then. No issues. Just changed oil this weekend, filter location is a bitch but oh well.

It's been exactly a year since I bought this so I showed it some love this weekend. Finally de grandpa it. Moldings off, pinstripe off, those wack mirror lights off. So it's finally decently clean.

Next immediate things, new muffler and maybe a corsa style tip. Crank the torsion bars and new tires. Maybe wheels.

After that it may get some paint to match handles, bumper cap and mirror caps, then it's done to just daily. Working on finding a wrx or dumping money into some go fast parts for the truck.

Anyways, shitty pics.

T4dtcpP.jpg

onHM4Fu.jpg

OLstxj4.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: DeanH1290 and Huck

Huck

BIIIIG SQRBDY GUY
Jan 27, 2011
Gainesville, Ga
Looks good man, I def say do some colormatching. I wanna de-mold my yukon so bad but the pass side has been painted around the molding. Found that out when I took the emblem off :facepalm:

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Emery19

That Ford Guy
Apr 8, 2012
Mount Laurel, NJ
Looks good man, I def say do some colormatching. I wanna de-mold my yukon so bad but the pass side has been painted around the molding. Found that out when I took the emblem off :facepalm:

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
Yeah I want to i think it would look good. Just not sure how much I want to put into it. I was worried about this one both both sides are clean.
Oil filter in a bad spot? Lol que.

Oh I forgot, this is your first gm hahaha
Well considering the ford's is right on top of the motor this one was a little more difficult. Hahah

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk