DIY catch can? Anyone done one?

Jared

Administrator
Feb 8, 2012
North Dallas
100_0011.jpg

100_0106.jpg

100_0155.jpg

now, I don't personally like the looks, but it could be painted and hidden some. Guys on the G8 page are doing them for around $20 bucks or so.

Cheeny23

Resident Wop
Staff member
Jan 8, 2011
Bakersfield
all those things are just air to oil/water separators. I run one on my compressor when I paint and use air tools. small kobalt one is 13 bucks

HackMcMaster

Jun 26, 2012
Dunes
you could just make some out of tubing too, get a short piece of pipe with threads on both ends, install caps on both ends and tap them for whatever fitting you want to run to the intake/valve cover. have air come in the bottom and out the top and fill with steel wool

Jared

Administrator
Feb 8, 2012
North Dallas
yeah, I knew what they were, I'm just asking if anyone else has made one? Just getting a worthy topic going with good discussion

Personally, I'd rather not have a billet style, but for the cost, and functionality, this seems worth it.

Oct 16, 2011
SoCal
u can run those..but a lot of the reviews say the bowls leak/crack and cause vacuum leaks. You also have to replace those O-rings...or I should say, I would replace those orings with vitons. Was just a safer bet to pay lil extra for the mike Norris than risk $40-50 on something that might break or not work at all.

HackMcMaster

Jun 26, 2012
Dunes
u can run those..but a lot of the reviews say the bowls leak/crack and cause vacuum leaks. You also have to replace those O-rings...or I should say, I would replace those orings with vitons. Was just a safer bet to pay lil extra for the mike Norris than risk $40-50 on something that might break or not work at all.
:imo:

Cheeny23

Resident Wop
Staff member
Jan 8, 2011
Bakersfield
yep, the bowls, especially on the small one, isnt made to handle extreme heat changes as well as vibrations from driving.

Jared

Administrator
Feb 8, 2012
North Dallas
A fee guys have reported a few years running them which is why I decided to humor trying one. Some replace the bottom trap with a nut and bolt with a new oring.

The plastic housings are what bother me though. God speed has bad reviews.

Cheeny23

Resident Wop
Staff member
Jan 8, 2011
Bakersfield
yea, idk what the pressure is in the pcv system, but that bottom valve doesnt close till a certain psi, i think around 15-20 or so

Huck

BIIIIG SQRBDY GUY
Jan 27, 2011
Gainesville, Ga
PO had one on my Cobra when I bought it. Was essentially a small separator for like a small compressor. I never liked it, looked shitty, and it never captured any oil. I tried to just put in a PCV and new hose, and the car wouldn't run right. Just threw it back on.

Apparently I don't have any good pics, but you can kinda see it on the right side of my intake, the black box with the canister under it.

Jared

Administrator
Feb 8, 2012
North Dallas
I think I've talked myself out of it. I am cheap, and like diy, but the looks and possible leak isn't enough. I'll keep my eye on this and other threads as well as deals on a billet can.

Thank guys

Huck

BIIIIG SQRBDY GUY
Jan 27, 2011
Gainesville, Ga
I like the idea of them, but it seems some cars benefit from them while for others it's a waste of time, effort, and money. My suggestion would be to check the TB every oil change/every other to decide if you need one. I know our trucks (idk about your G8) put some oil back into the intake, but I looked into the TB of my old truck for the first time at around 140k and it only had a very light sheen to it.

My Cobra obviously didn't put out enough oil to need one even thought the PO had one on there, whereas the 11+ Coyote Mustangs put quite a bit of oil through the PCV. There's several guys running oil separators on those cars that would get about half their separator full ever oil change.

ScottyBoy

The LED Man
Apr 6, 2012
Grainger has these with an all metal body and bowl, made by Dayton. They can be found for under $20, or at least that's what they were when I bought one about a year ago for the compressor at work.