Dakota's 2008 vmax thread

Dakota

Dat Static 4wd
Mar 12, 2012
texarkana
So I installed a system in an ecsb sierra for a buddy last week and I got the bug again and decided I want to do some audio in my truck now. Since I already have all of the expensive stuff from previous systems, I only had a few things to buy to get the ball rolling on this.

I picked up a downfire under seat probox on fb for $80, ordered a knukonceptz wiring kit, 2 sets of jbl 6.5s/tweets for a good deal on the eBay sale, adapters to put aftermarket 6.5s in the doors without drilling, a bass knob for the amp and a loc so I can keep my oem nav head unit. (I have a pioneer double din if I decide to swap later)

I'll be running 2 fosgate p2 10s and a kicker zx550.2. Should sound pretty good when it's all done. I've been missing some bass in my life. My son is finally at the age where it's not gonna bother him and he actually enjoyed the system in the truck I mentioned above.

I don't have any pictures of anything yet but here is a truck picture just because.
4c38ee34c02d05a5f4825cbc00ff4125.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Huck

BIIIIG SQRBDY GUY
Jan 27, 2011
Gainesville, Ga
I’ve got some shallow mount Sundown 8s I wanna put in my truck but I need everything else so it’ll be a while lol. Do miss having a system

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dakota

Dat Static 4wd
Mar 12, 2012
texarkana
I’ve got some shallow mount Sundown 8s I wanna put in my truck but I need everything else so it’ll be a while lol. Do miss having a system

I want to upgrade to some sundowns at some point but these p2s will be good for now lol. I've always been a big fan of rf products.

The first pieces showed up today. I think I'm gonna run the speakers out of my white truck in the front doors so I might go ahead and put those in tomorrow since I'm still waiting on everything else.
779ea57002cc3aa30fe470fc29478edb.jpg

Reactions: Huck

Tylers88

3 GM's and a Jeep
Apr 16, 2012
Clarion, IA
Glad I have a Burb so I dont have to mess with crew cab seats or shallow mounts, I figured it out and even with a 7-8 cubic foot box I'd still be able to fit groceries or luggage no issue.
What you have should sound good and its awesome your kid will like it.

BB

Apr 8, 2013
Tyler, Texas
You made the right call buying brackets instead of wasting time trying to make your stock brackets work. Ask me how I know. Lol!

I hope you have better luck out of those quick connectors than I had. The terminal leads were too small to fit over the spades on the speakers, and the pins in the female ends flopped around and wouldn’t make a good connection. I returned them, and spliced some the new leads in.

Dakota

Dat Static 4wd
Mar 12, 2012
texarkana
Glad I have a Burb so I dont have to mess with crew cab seats or shallow mounts, I figured it out and even with a 7-8 cubic foot box I'd still be able to fit groceries or luggage no issue.
What you have should sound good and its awesome your kid will like it.
Yea the lack of system space sucks but it'll be plenty for now. Maybe one of these days I can change it up and go with something different

Dakota

Dat Static 4wd
Mar 12, 2012
texarkana
So I went and pulled the jbl p660c 6.5s, that I bought from Eddie a year and a half or so ago, out of the white truck today. Decided to run them in the front doors and the jbl gt7-6c that I ordered in the rear doors. Knocked the drivers side out today before it got dark and I'll finish the passenger side in the morning.

As for the tweeters... the oem tweeter cover on the pillar isn't round and it has 2 clip holes once you remove it. Since I wasn't gonna put the tweeters in the pillar I decided to mount them in the doors and angle them toward the driver/passenger. I'm happy with how it turned out and how it sounds. I tied into the factory tweeter to power my jbl's in the door.
885d6d9600be0984380a7ee450c113f8.jpg
991c4a98ae4367ceee1566953fe3c778.jpg
037c5dde679b391fb569bd819ddda1bd.jpg
7467bb025752771881ee6b5ef029416d.jpg

Reactions: Tylers88

Dakota

Dat Static 4wd
Mar 12, 2012
texarkana
do yourself a favor and order some sound deadener.
That's something I definitely want to do at some point. With the way my schedule is, I'm gonna go ahead and get everything put in and do the sound deadener later. I don't mind taking it back apart to do it then.

Also my wiring kit showed up today. Just a 4g kit but it'll be plenty for this little system. The only thing I'm still waiting on is the jbl 6.5s that I ordered. They should be here tomorrow.
8a8a32a8d934584c3b9ac6aa258aebf2.jpg

Huck

BIIIIG SQRBDY GUY
Jan 27, 2011
Gainesville, Ga
Do yourself a favor, go to Home Depot and get their HVAC duct insulation. It’s peel and stick just like sound deadening and a 1/3 or the price. Worked great in my crew

Reactions: Big Tex

Big Tex

slowly but surely
Jun 25, 2012
Dallas, TX
Do yourself a favor, go to Home Depot and get their HVAC duct insulation. It’s peel and stick just like sound deadening and a 1/3 or the price. Worked great in my crew

This is what I did in the green truck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Huck

BIIIIG SQRBDY GUY
Jan 27, 2011
Gainesville, Ga
IIRC it’s $10-15 a til, I got 3 rolls and had about half a roll left over. Covered the whole floor once, doubled up the back wall and under the rear seat, put some random patches of double up front and put some in each door. Could’ve done some of the roof with it too, just didn’t wanna take down the headliner

Kkirwan71

the other delaware guy
Aug 2, 2015

Hmmm I've thought about doing this. I can get it for free through work

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Dakota

Dat Static 4wd
Mar 12, 2012
texarkana

I always wondered if that shit would work lol. Never seen anybody actually use it though.

Huck

BIIIIG SQRBDY GUY
Jan 27, 2011
Gainesville, Ga
I always wondered if that shit would work lol. Never seen anybody actually use it though.

Yep, it was awesome. It’s about an 1/8” thick so I doubled up on the back wall of the cab and the floor under the seat. Then did some random patches of double up front under your feet to help with road noise. It goes on super easy. I just got a small caster from Home Depot at the same time to help work it on in the corners and it worked great

Dakota

Dat Static 4wd
Mar 12, 2012
texarkana
Word. Mine is fun. Still don't know the full extent of the mods but I'm just enjoying it for now. Plenty I'd like to do down the roads as funds allow. Coilovers are on the list of wants along with boost....once it's paid off lol

Also got the system pretty much done last week. Still need to find the final resting place for the amp and finish routing wires/put the rear seat back in. It sounds good though! Very pleased with it.

Decided to run the loc off the Bose amp harness inside the center console instead of behind the kick panel or behind the dash. This will put my rcas close enough that I don't have to fully reroute them if I decide to go with a double din and it's easily accessible in there.

Cheeny23

Resident Wop
Staff member
Jan 8, 2011
Bakersfield

it's nowhere near the same... similar concept, different materials and densities. sure, if you even put duct tape on the panels, its going to dampen vibration to a certain extent, but that's not what it's made for. plus, there's plenty of companies making deadener out there to find a good deal.

Reactions: barrrf

Huck

BIIIIG SQRBDY GUY
Jan 27, 2011
Gainesville, Ga
:shrug: Worked fine for me. Did what I wanted it to for $45. If there's actual sound deadener out there for the same price, I'll use it but I doubt there is.