CUB

Jan 2, 2011
Shreveport, LA
I dont know when the actual build will start, hopefully this month sometime...got a lot questions and little stuff that needs answering and advice...never done this before and want to do it right the first time, no shortcuts or cheap shit..
Wishbone and tank are getting powdered right now, was gonna start cleaning frame this weekend..bridge the notches, mount the tank and compressors up

Anyways my parts list as of today, if its not listed i dont have it, so keep that in mind..i need to know what else i need..im only doing the rear as of right now..im already notched..
Gonna run my 20's for now, notched for 4's though...im pretty much ready just need a few little things.
AccuAir VU4
AVS 7 switch switchbox
NFamus 3-link wishbone
1 AZ digital gauge

1.) I need to bridge the notches correct? Some 2x2 square tubing should be fine..just weld 2 bars from notch to notch..?
2.) Pressure switches? Buddy told me to use Square D.... Do i need them? Is there such thing as an adjustable one to adjust when i want it to kick compressors on/kick off? Or just get a preset one, and how do i know what psi one to buy.. Where is best place to buy? Best to run them to an ignition wire so they only work when truck is on? Or run them to a manual switch that id have to turn on when i get in my truck in the morning and turn it off at night?

Referencing his post, id just need to run it on a relay to a wire that only is on when truck is on
if you wired it straight to your battery, yes. what you do is run a relay that doesn't allow the compressor(s) to run unless the key is in the on position. that way when your truck is off, nothing will run.
some one else will have to chime in on the airline. I had a bad experience with plastic push to connect airline on my old s-10 and I dont run it anymore.

3.) Check valves? Do i need them? How many?

4.) Fittings? Since my tank is 1/2" ports im sure ill need some 1/2" to 3/8" adapter fittings? What else do i need for my VU4

5.) Airline, just regular DOT line will be fine? If im mounting everything in rear, how many feet should i grab?

6.) Solenoids, Tukn recommended a 80 Amp Solenoid instead of relays for the compressors, just 1 is all i need correct?

7.) Circuit breaker instead of fuse, anyone have a specific one or are they general parts that i can just go grab at O'Reilleys

8.) POR15, anyone used this, after i scrape the gunk off my rear frame, i want it to look good, and have seen people use this..is it carried locally?

9.) Water traps? This keep water out of tank and lines correct? And this is how i'd drain the tank?
http://bagriders.com/modlab/products/SMC-WATER-TRAP.html

10.) Think id need this harness to connect my switchbox to my VU4? I dont think the VU4 comes with this?
http://bagriders.com/modlab/products/SWITCH-BOX-TO-VU4-HARNESS.html

My cousin works for Grainger and said he can get his discount for me...if they carry a lot of shit i need i can save money and place an order through him.

Any help is appreciated, want to have my shit in order before i begin..

Last edited:

Wicked Mayhem

FUCK YOU
Mar 15, 2012
1) Yes 2x2x.125 is plenty good for a bridge bar. One bar would be enough, but two looks a little better. Thats personal preference.

2) If you bought the compressor(s) new it should have came with relay(s) and a pressure switch. 165/200 for 480's. I don't see the need for a adjustable one personally. I have mine wired up to switched 12v so they dont run unless the truck is on.

3) Alot of people overlook check valves but they are a great thing to have. If you dont have them and your tank or something develops a leak, and your truck is already aired up, it will stay aired up. but if you have a leak between the bag and valves the check valve is no good.

4) Yes youll need 1/2" npt to 3/8" ptc fittings to come off of your tank to the vu4. You can run either one or two lines to it. I ran both lines to it because i had the ports to do so. Its easiest to lay everything out on the ground and figure up which fittings youll need before you start. I always order extras just incase i change my mind, and on PTC ive bought brand new fittings that wouldnt seal. I hate PTC. Use metal PTC if you have to, ive had decent luck with them.

5) Yes DOT line is what you want. with doing the little amount your doing, 15' im sure would be more then plenty, but that stuff is dirt cheap so i used to buy it by the 50-100' just to have extra.

6) Unsure on the solenoids, Ive never had bad luck with the relays so i keep using them. If brett says you need one, im sure you just need one.

7) I remember years ago I read it was kind of a no no to use a circuit breaker instead of fuses, but again ive never had bad luck with fuses going out on me so ive never looked into it..

8) My dad used por 15 on his cars frame and it always looked great but was always garage kept. I just spray painted mine but i didnt really care how it looked as it gets daily ed and sits outside. Just preventing a bunch of rust..

9) yes that'll keep the majority of moisture out of your tank. I drain the water from the traps once a week. I will probably take the plug out the bottom of the tank in about 6 months to see how it is and see if i should do it more often. Been a while since i had a bagged ride lol.

10) Looks like the harness youll need. I just cut the harness that came with the VU4 to connect to elevel because i didnt bother looking into it and couldnt wait around for it. I already ordered the 9 wire so it wasnt a big deal just a little soldering.

didnt re read any of what i typed so hopefully i dont sound like a total fucking moron.:lemon: text me if you need to..

Last edited:

Colton

Mar 20, 2012
Makes me happy to see this thread started. All you needed was a little motivation last weekend lol

Peyton676

Mar 10, 2012
Le Boot
Wicked gave some good info
Only thing I disagree on is compressor relays get you a stinger solenoid and never look back
And you want 200psi switch. Buy an extra one too.

Sent from my HTC One using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Wicked Mayhem

FUCK YOU
Mar 15, 2012
What's the advantage of a solenoid? I've done zero research on it. Never had a relay fail yet but never kept anything over a year or so lol.

Stinger a brand you can buy local? Can u run one for two 480's?

Tukn4s

Jan 24, 2011
I run a solenoid instead of a relay because of the much higher current rating. It connects the same way as a relay but is far stronger and will last much longer than a relay.

Peyton676

Mar 10, 2012
Le Boot
Yes I had major problems and I ran solenoids static with onboard. Then I bought AZ ob2s and they come pre wired with relays so I was forced to run relays. After 5-6 problems,burning wires,no control over them running,sometimes didn't work,needless to say I voided $600 in comps and did it the right way and cut all their harness off and never had a problem since.

Sent from my HTC One using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Wicked Mayhem

FUCK YOU
Mar 15, 2012
What's the part number for a solenoid I can get at a local parts store? And do u run one for both compressors? Ill keep that in mind for whenever I have a relay go bad.

jayballz

Apr 1, 2012
I didn't even waist time and money on relays and just went strait to a 110 amp solenoid. Not a single lick of trouble. And like I texted earlier HELL YES on check valves. I would have been screwed today without them. I would go with a 200 psi switch. Trust me you'll want 200 psi. You can get dot lines and fittings here in town cheap. And def get a water trap.

Wicked Mayhem

FUCK YOU
Mar 15, 2012
best for me to lay everything out roughly how youll have it setup on the truck. and then you should be able to figure it out..

Fogle

Super Mod
Mar 24, 2012
Waycross,GA
I'm not any help with any of your bag questions but on my frame I just used rustoleum semi gloss black spray paint. You can see how it come out in my build thread.