Coop's Method to Unlock VIN-Locked Delphi Radios

xlcooplx

turning wrenches
Mar 8, 2011
Myrtle Beach, SC
Let me preface this by saying that this should work on 03-07 classic Delphi radios.

As we all know, 03+ Delphi radios are VIN-locked and can only be swapped between vehicles if the radio has been programmed with that VIN. I purchased a radio back in December to swap in to my brother's 03 rcsb, as his OEM CD player no longer functioned. Also, I chose to get a radio with a cassette deck so I could easily add an aux input for his iPod. Seeing how he has still yet to take his truck to the dealership to get the radio programmed to his VIN, I began to wonder where the VIN information was stored at in the radio. With this curiosity, I took his old radio out today and began searching the main board for an EEPROM. As luck would have it, I found one in the middle of the board. I googled the information that I found written on the EEPROM and decided to remove it from the board to see what would happen. Since it was already VIN locked to his truck, I decided to try it in my 05. Believe it or not, it worked. With this in mind, I tore apart the new radio. Here are the steps to making it work.

For starters, here is the radio that I am using.
010.jpg

First things first, turn the radio over to the bottom and remove the bottom cover. (thanks for letting me steal your photo, Garrett! I forgot to take one.)
DSCN2047-1.jpg

Once you get the bottom off, remove the cassette player (if equipped). Under the cassette player is the main board of the radio. In the middle, you will find the 8-pin EEPROM, labeled 9355093 ST, that stores the VIN information. There is more info on the EEPROM HERE.
f31e9ccc.jpg

79709b58.jpg

Now you're going to prepare to remove the EEPROM from the board. I advise you, if you haven't done any electronics work, be VERY cautious and do this AT YOUR OWN RISK! Personally, I used a small soldering iron along with some solder-wick and a pair of hemostats to pull it off of the board after removing the solder.

After you remove it from the board, this is what you should be left with.
1c2ceda4.jpg

Once it's in the truck, it should work.
80dcdd45.jpg

44de1f15.jpg

This "Cal-Err" message appears for about 2 seconds when the radio first receives power. Since the EEPROM is no longer on the board, it cannot validate the VIN and goes about functioning normally. This still allows the radio to retain the door chimes, presets, EQ and other features.

I'll get some better photos tomorrow when I add the aux-input and button it up. Hopefully this will save you guys the $70 at the stealership to reprogram the radio. :shake:

Colton

Mar 20, 2012
Very good info. When it was locked what did it say on the screen? When I traded my rcsb in I put my stock cd player back in and it only showed the time. It wouldnt do anything, but it didnt say locked or anything like that. Just had the time and nothing would work. I thought it only got locked when switching vehicles, but since it came from my truck I dont know why it would be locked. Just curious to know if it was locked or something was wrong with it

xlcooplx

turning wrenches
Mar 8, 2011
Myrtle Beach, SC
Colton, it would only show the time. I could however unplug it, turn the truck to accessory and plug the radio back in and it would work. However, once the truck was shut off and turned back on, the radio would be locked yet again.