Compressor not building pressure

truckin1081

May 23, 2013
Guymon, OK
I've been running dual Viair 380Cs for awhile now and haven't had a single problem until this afternoon. They just stopped building pressure at 160. They still run fine. Does it sound like they need rebuilt or could it be something else?

Not that I know of they have built up to 200 every time except this time. And they run and run and run just no pressure. I'm gonna take them loose from the water traps and hook up a gauge to them to see if they are putting out enough pressure. Unless they miraculously start building pressure in the morning.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

When compressors die they sometimes just do not build as much pressure and will continue dropping the pressure they make.

here's the issue that usually happens with the viairs. depending on how they are mounted, the cylinder liner gets worn and lets blow by at a certain pressure. depending on your pressure switch, most that are used, turn on at anything below 165 and cut off at 200. You can rebuild these compressors, I have done it plenty for people and gotten all new life out of the compressor for half the money of buying new.
how are your compressors mounted?

When I very first did it they were mounted upside down then after about a year they were sideways and have been straight up for the last year.

When I very first did it they were mounted upside down then after about a year they were sideways and have been straight up for the last year.

the sideways and upside down has probably hurt the compressor. Not just an opinion by me, here's straight from Viair Corp website F.A.Q.

Q: Is it possible to mount VIAIR compressors sideways, or must it be mounted with the cylinder upright?
A: You can mount in any direction or position since VIAIR compressors are oil-less. The only position we do not recommend is an upside-down mount, since heat tends to travel upward, and does not dissipate well in the motor housing. A sideways mounting may reduce the life of the piston seal, since everything is governed by gravity and has a weight associated with it.

I ordered some new 444s a little bit ago. Didn't want to risk the rebuild kit not showing up or not fixing it. With me leaving for slamily next Thursday.