Check engine light, code po442 small evap leak

wretched73

Apr 18, 2012
I have done research on what could be causing this issue. First step I took was to replace the gas cap. No dice. Second was to replace the evap canister/solenoid located on the back side of the fuel tank. No dice there. Before I drop the tank to replace the whole fuel pump assembly (sources have said that the vent valve on the fuel pump could be stuck) I was wondering if anyone had any other ideas? As of now, I can hear a sort of "creaking" sound, coming from what sounds like the front of the fuel tank, after I shut the truck off from a long drive (after my 24 mile commute to work I seem to notice it most often).

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

P0442 haunted my Sierra. Sucks how there are several little things it can be, or one big one lol. Try blowing out the line to the Evap canister. Dirt gets trapped in there and can throw the code.

Might as well try all the free/cheap stuff before replacing the vent valve solenoid.. Which mine happened to be the first time. 2nd code was the cannister line. 3rd time was a gas cap, which I just kept clearing till I sold it lol

Sent from my Galaxy S-Fawhore

Thanks for the advice. I'll blow that line out and reset the code.

could also be the purge solenoid

Are the vent valve and purge solenoid different? I've heard them interchanged before iirc

Please go on. I also have heard them used interchangeably so if I'm confused it would be great if there was another option before the fuel assembly.

30 minutes with a scanner and a EVAp smoker you could find your issue. Stop just replacing parts and diagnose it.

If the Module was leaking you would smell fuel, Ive seen a few Rot out completely on the top

30 minutes with a scanner and a EVAp smoker you could find your issue. Stop just replacing parts and diagnose it.

If the Module was leaking you would smell fuel, Ive seen a few Rot out completely on the top

Please inform me if you will where I could, cost effectively, procure an evap smoker? I am quite aware that what you stated would be the most straight forward route to diagnosing my issue. Yet, if I had easy access to an evap smoker I would have not made this post to begin with.

who the fuck deleted my post.

I am allowed to bust his balls he is at my garage like twice a week.

Agreed. I was not offended by his comment. I do enjoy toting my posse around. Therefore it is only natural to have a truck full of burly men on a regular basis.

Yea I'm gonna be at the shop tomorrow so I will blow it out then. Also going to do my clutch cable and clutch update on my quad. Maybe even fix the rear axle if I'm feeling crazy

Edit: So yea if you wanna keep a door unlocked for me that would be greattttt

Last edited:
When the shop did my vent valve solenoid, it was 280 FYI. But that was part at cost and only the time it took them, not book