CGM Official 'Engine Bay' Thread

Maybe just me, but I never spray my engine bay with direct water.

I bet your knock sensor recesses are full of water and corroded to hell.
The entire engine bay is electrical components.
If there is one thing I hate, it's chasing hidden gremlin problems, so I try to avoid feeding them.

apparently you should just try avoid spraying the fuse panel, and other things like it, and use mean green let it sit and spray off with a hose on shower mode

another good comment ive heard is taking a compressor and blowing out the voids where water sits

and id recommend not starting the vehicle for an hour or so to let the electrical stuff dry out

That reminds me, I've often wondered how well one of those (overpriced IMO) airforce master blaster air driers worked... but could never justify affording one at this point.

I just use my air compressor for getting water out of cracks with one of these.

image_14005.jpg

I just avoid any electrical components and don't spray when the block is warm/hot.

So what exactly DO you spray? The whole bay has electrical components.

I used to do a spot free rinse at the carwash pretty often until i fucked my knock sensors up. Wish i had the pictures still, they were rusted like a mofo

So what exactly DO you spray? The whole bay has electrical components.

I used to do a spot free rinse at the carwash pretty often until i fucked my knock sensors up. Wish i had the pictures still, they were rusted like a mofo

Ha sheeeit what'd I just say, called it!
I absolutely covered the fawk out of my knock sensors on both of my trucks with gasket maker!!
:pls:

I've always just sprayed everything (except fuse box) with Mean Green and pressure washed it. Hold nozzle about 12" away and leave motor running. That's how my dads been doing it for 30 yrs with no problems.

Just out of curiosity, have you seen a motor been messed up after using a water hose? Just wondering why you're so against it. Everyone I know does it that way with no problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just out of curiosity, have you seen a motor been messed up after using a water hose? Just wondering why you're so against it. Everyone I know does it that way with no problems.

No can't say that I have where I know problems were directly related. So many variables too. Power washing is a whole different story too. You tend to blast all the grease/lube out, and all the grit directly in to places where it otherwise would not be, and cannot necessarily be regularly serviced/lubed/cleaned. ie., your knock sensor area.... or anything electrical.
Again though, so many variables depending on how you do it and how often, so if what ever you're doing seems to work for you then by all means keep doing it.
I do know I much prefer working on a motor that has less corrosion on it compared to others that have seen a lot of moisture.

Gotcha, I was just wondering. I do mine about twice a year. I don't use any kind of nozzle and I let it just kinda shower over it to get the soap off. Not like I'm holding a power washer 2" from fuse box and holding it there for 5 minutes. Lol

I use water on any engine bay I wash/detail, but it is VERY low pressure and more of a dribble than anything. Usually that's only needed if the bay is caked with nasty stuff that requires APC to remove. Otherwise I just use an old waterless wash towel and got o town.

I just take a moist rag to mine I've never had a problem, better than spraying water all over the place and getting water marks on everything but my engine never gets any dirtier than needing just a rag wipe down any ways. my dad does however spray the engine bay in all of his vehicles and never had a problem soo.. :shrug: